News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General octane build

Started by hudak69rt, June 24, 2023, 08:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hudak69rt

With some help with guys on here and in other places I'd like to start a thread that openly gets love and not hate because of my transmission choice! All about performance and drivability that brings this car to the 21st century ! I'm 28 owned this car for almost 8 years now and lotta money and time put into it. My goal is to get this to do the 2 hour drive to Carlisle in 3 weeks! With todays progress it's looking likely! The car has had about half of its sheet metal replaced with half still being solid (ik what I was buying). Today was a big day narrowed strange 60 in and mostly lined up with the RMS 4 link. The 200r4 stage 3 built to 1000hp will start to get fitted tomorrow! The front suspension im staying with torsion bars and just upgrading everything. The goal is to get underneath painted octane red along with inside trunk and clear coat with kbs diamond coating. The car still is getting mini tubbed for one off design vectors looking like 17 by 12 with 335 35 17s problem is Colorado custom is having trouble getting materials to make them!

hudak69rt

JB400

hudak69rt

The trans is at 3 degrees down which is exactly what I guess is the best angle lol but now needs a trans crossmember. It's in the making as you can see of the mini tub but I'm gonna wait till fall however bars were already moved inboard. Tranny fit like a glove like scary good no mods at all and as you can see the Speedo cable attached and will finally read correctly!!! Best first 1st and 2nd gear along with .67 final drive and then locking converter so really like .63 or .64 I stuck with 3.73s along with stranges helical design sure grip ! 28-3200 stall I have a big tru cool h7b cooler to add with the champion rad I will be changing out in winter for performance stock appearing rad. My engine is 413 with 915 heads and max wedge valves. Unfortunately I took this car to a resto shop that looked high end and didn't do high end work to my charger. Along with wrong machine shop luckily the next engine I found the right place to do! The 413s ring seemed to have never sat runs great but blowing oil out at high rpms and yes I have breathers and pcv valve now but still no good. Goal is Carlisle first! The one pic in the driveway is before because you can see how the back was jacked up since I had it. Thanks Devin

hudak69rt

More to come tomorrow along with Tuesday with dipstick and trans crossmember bushing! Keeping stock brakes I've spent to much money to spend another 700 or whatever it is for the conversion. My tundra and corolla stop well when I drive thru jersey traffic so I'll be fine for a while with discs and drum in the back in the charger !

marshallfry01

I'm definitely going to follow this build. I'm wanting to do the 2004R transmission swap in my 69.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

hudak69rt

Quote from: marshallfry01 on June 27, 2023, 01:25:37 AMI'm definitely going to follow this build. I'm wanting to do the 2004R transmission swap in my 69.
it's definitely gonna be worth it! Just tranny after adapter, flywheel, and bell housing I'm at 6600 shipped :/

hudak69rt

So the guy who's been building/I've been helping through the process used my idea to keep it looking stock and partially saving time cause he knew it would bolt up turned the crossmember 180 degrees because the mounting spot on 200r4 is different and made several trial and error cuts till it eventually fit perfect and tranny is pointed down 3 degrees and we will have rear at 2 degrees up! The one pic is just about where car will sit might come down half inch after driving I'm kinda hoping but way different and better to what it was jacked up before ! Plan is still to make it to Carlisle! Also finally got the correct Hellwig 1 3/8 sway bar in and bolted up big difference from stock just by looks!

hudak69rt

More pics to come!

hudak69rt

I got about 50 miles for break in for new rear but the 4 link needs adjusting for pinion angle at higher speeds after letting off gas. The shifter is a little to loose for my liking it's a B&M mega shifter but after all the money spent I do have overdrive and will keep this car goin with modern highway traffic with 3.73s in the rear!

hudak69rt

Converter not locked but 4th gear od 26.5 inch tires and 3.73s only 2k at 60!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hudak69rt

Engine still blowing oil out under hard launches got about 250 miles on it and drained fluid on Dana and it was all good! I can do about 85 mph at 2400rpm with converter locked and definitely feels like the 440 I'll be building in the winter will not be able to break this tranny or Dana! Got the one seat redone and inside. That is a Legendary rallye edition I liked the 68 pattern looks just better than the 69!

marshallfry01

Any updates on the build? How's the transmission holding up?
1969 Charger 383/auto

hudak69rt

Quote from: marshallfry01 on December 12, 2023, 11:26:49 PMAny updates on the build? How's the transmission holding up?
Well tranny has maybe 600 miles or so on still shifts great and yes i get on it hard here and there. 413 realistically makes probably close to 450hp and 500 lbs considering the set up. However unfortunately something dumb must have inside because the switch to lock is getting power I'll be calling tomorrow as they were closed to figure out the problem and how the warranty works.

marshallfry01

Quote from: hudak69rt on January 01, 2024, 11:08:31 PM
Quote from: marshallfry01 on December 12, 2023, 11:26:49 PMAny updates on the build? How's the transmission holding up?
Well tranny has maybe 600 miles or so on still shifts great and yes i get on it hard here and there. 413 realistically makes probably close to 450hp and 500 lbs considering the set up. However unfortunately something dumb must have inside because the switch to lock is getting power I'll be calling tomorrow as they were closed to figure out the problem and how the warranty works.

Most of the reviews I've seen for that place are pretty good. Let me know how it ends up.

I'm really considering this transmission for my 69.

No tunnel cutting, no computer control, excellent gear spread with OD, lockup converter... it checks all the boxes for me. I'll just have to figure out how to make it work with a stock style floor shifter.
1969 Charger 383/auto

hudak69rt

Quote from: marshallfry01 on January 02, 2024, 09:37:32 PM
Quote from: hudak69rt on January 01, 2024, 11:08:31 PM

Most of the reviews I've seen for that place are pretty good. Let me know how it ends up.

I'm really considering this transmission for my 69.

No tunnel cutting, no computer control, excellent gear spread with OD, lockup converter... it checks all the boxes for me. I'll just have to figure out how to make it work with a stock style floor shifter.
sorry brother was still getting voicemail this week so hopefully get an answer tomorrow and the boxes you just said was exactly why I went in this direction! The lifetime freshen up for 450.00 pretty good too. That art carr had a few bad reviews plus shipping way cheaper coming from like 8.5 hours away instead of the liberal state of Cali on the opposite side of the east coast. They were Friendly and helpful so far just like strange was for Dana 60 and Reily motor sports was for 4 link which is why I'm happy I gave them my business so far! Money well spent. The bellhousing cost went up a bit from Reid racing and then jw performance for adapter too has to be ordered separate and the bolts didn't work from them.

JB400

Looks like you're having fun with this build. :cheers:  :2thumbs:

hudak69rt

Quote from: JB400 on January 16, 2024, 12:55:24 AMLooks like you're having fun with this build. :cheers:  :2thumbs:
. Besides costing me a lot at once got busy and Put a lot expanding my stump grinding side business I did score score Mickey Thompsons 29-15-15s with 20 miles on them for less 800.00!

marshallfry01

How did you wire up the lockup converter? Are you manually activating it or do you have it wired up to engage/disengage on its own?
1969 Charger 383/auto

hudak69rt

Quote from: marshallfry01 on March 12, 2024, 11:18:41 PMHow did you wire up the lockup converter? Are you manually activating it or do you have it wired up to engage/disengage on its own?
paid a shop not much a wiring/electrical person but its already grounded internal just need wire with 12 volts and a switch and I switch it on and off on the highway