News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

High voltage alt and ammeter question

Started by LaOtto70Charger, July 24, 2023, 12:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaOtto70Charger

So I installed a high output alternator with a line directly from the alternator to the ammeter. So bulkhead connector is now bypassed. I need to bump my idle speed to 800 as this alt is supposed to make 70 amps there. If I read everything right my ammeter should still be ok and probably better off as my voltage shouldn't be going all over the place now.  Or am I nuts?

metallicareload99

What do you need the high output alternator to power? Instead of running a wire to the ammeter, I would rather have a heavy gauge wire ran directly to the battery  :shruggy:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

b5blue

LaOtto70Charger

If I remember right it is 8 gauge wire.
For electrical almost everything is stock. I have an electric choke, electric fuel pressure gauge, and an accessory plug for a cell phone charger.  Everything else is stock 70 318 with ac.

Only reason for higher output alternator is so when I stop at a intersection the alt keeps primary and not draining the battery. Even without lights on it would discharge.  Than when I start moving again 20+ amps to recharge.

b5blue

With an inline fuse it should be fine.

Gold Rush

Remember, the alternator will only be supplying enough current to satisfy the load you car's demand is needing.

I understand your concern about the ammeter showing discharge at low engine RPMs.  That is normal and not an issue as long as your battery is in good condition..

If the new alternator is capable of 70 amps at 800 RPM you will still only be putting out what the system is asking for.
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

b5blue

Look up "Fleet upgrade" adding an 8ga to existing harness. I'm running a Denso 120amp Alt. that puts out 60-70 amps at idle. No more see/sawing ALT gauge.

metallicareload99

Quote from: Gold Rush on July 25, 2023, 06:19:49 AMRemember, the alternator will only be supplying enough current to satisfy the load you car's demand is needing.

I understand your concern about the ammeter showing discharge at low engine RPMs.  That is normal and not an issue as long as your battery is in good condition..

If the new alternator is capable of 70 amps at 800 RPM you will still only be putting out what the system is asking for.

:iagree: bypassing the bulkhead connector running the wire from the alternator to the ammeter should solve any potential issues. I think it would be more effective to run it directly to the battery with a fuse
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

b5blue

I installed all new harness front to back AND did the "fleet upgrade" then installed 40amp relays to keep heavy loads out of the dash area. 

nchrome

looking for a little advice my alt gauge once in a while will show over charge then go back to mormal. Now l've changed the voltage regulator and a new battery. my negative post is a little loose on purpose but l will tighten it up to see if that maybe the problem. Any other ideas would be appreciated

70 sublime

If it is the original style regulator when you notice it over charging can you get out of the car and tap on it to see if it is just stuck ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

b5blue

Why would you have a loose post? (Just VERY wrong!) The main danger is feeding full amps back to the battery through the gauge if battery is somewhat discharged.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: metallicareload99 on July 24, 2023, 02:21:38 PMWhat do you need the high output alternator to power? Instead of running a wire to the ammeter, I would rather have a heavy gauge wire ran directly to the battery  :shruggy:

No
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: metallicareload99 on July 25, 2023, 12:46:55 PM
Quote from: Gold Rush on July 25, 2023, 06:19:49 AMRemember, the alternator will only be supplying enough current to satisfy the load you car's demand is needing.

:iagree: bypassing the bulkhead connector running the wire from the alternator to the ammeter should solve any potential issues. I think it would be more effective to run it directly to the battery with a fuse

There is no need for that. Once the weakest point is saved at bulkhead, with a higher amp alt tye batt won't need suply the regular power requirements anymore, so just the alt power is enough. Then no need to bypass the ammeter or run to the batt
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: LaOtto70Charger on July 24, 2023, 12:34:13 PMSo I installed a high output alternator with a line directly from the alternator to the ammeter. So bulkhead connector is now bypassed. I need to bump my idle speed to 800 as this alt is supposed to make 70 amps there. If I read everything right my ammeter should still be ok and probably better off as my voltage shouldn't be going all over the place now.  Or am I nuts?

You are fine.

70 sublime

I have always had the negative batter post loose on my car with zero problems
When ever I park the car for the night inside a building I always pop the hood and pull the cable off the battery just to be sure no electrical fires and peace of mind
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 08, 2024, 12:45:24 PM
Quote from: metallicareload99 on July 24, 2023, 02:21:38 PMWhat do you need the high output alternator to power? Instead of running a wire to the ammeter, I would rather have a heavy gauge wire ran directly to the battery  :shruggy:

No

Disagree, less connectors is less chance for a faulty connection. I always run a 6 ga. wire directly to the nut on the positive lug at the battery cable. This does make the ammeter non functional but a small voltmeter can monitor the system.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.