News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 charger heater core tubes

Started by Charger jUNkiE, August 03, 2023, 04:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger jUNkiE

What's the best way to install the copper tubes into the heater core on a 1970 charger.  I see the instructions but this looks like a potential point of failure and I don't  want to ever remove one of these again.  So orings check.  Some form of oring Lubricant.   What else can be done to insure a long leak free situations.

Charger jUNkiE

Wow.....crickets?   On a 1970 charger with factory Air Conditioning.  The heater core is attached to the outside (under hood firewall) by two copper tubes.  These tubes mate with the heater core and are sealed with o rings that fit on the heater core tube and then get compressed and sealed when the copper tube sleeve slides over the o ring. The area that these tubes meet and seal is pretty much impossible to get to once the heater/AC box is installed into the car.  I was curious what others have done to add a little extra insurance to prevent leaks in this area. 

thanks in advance

Don

b5blue

I used a system from Classic Auto Air that adapted a new modern box to factory vents. (So just keep waiting for someone to chime in.)

70 sublime

I have a 70 with Air but when I was looking for the heater box could only find a 69 set up
Sounds like I might be glad I did not find a 70 set up
Have not gotten to that part yet but it is one of the next things to work on as I want it in before the dash goes back in
I might look into an aftermarket set up so every thing is fresh with no leaks to worry about
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Charger jUNkiE

The tubes on the heater core look like this. (I pirated this picture from another post)  The copper feed tubes then slide over the o-rings.

70 sublime

I will have to look at mine closer  I thought they just had longer pipes on the rad itself
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green