News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bleeding steering and hydroboost system

Started by Dino, August 09, 2023, 05:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I have the wheels off the ground, filled the steering pump reservoir, turned the wheel side to side 5 times, and pressed the brake pedal 3 times. I went to check on the pump and the fluid was gone. I did this procedure 4 times before fluid stayed up. Now, it's just me here so how many times do I need to turn the wheel and press the brake before air is out of the system? A camera aimed at the fluid and a screen in the car would be really helpful right now! At what point do I start the car? And with the engine off I'm assuming the pedal won't feel right?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Kern Dog

Bleeding a hydroboost system sucks ass.
I was GIVEN a new hydroboost pump to install and report back by a reputable vendor. The plan was that I'd get the unit for free in exchange for figuring out how it all works and operates.
It was a shit show.
It fit right. I had to figure out the hoses, the pump, the bleeding procedure, all of that.
I used a Chevy truck Saginaw pump reservoir with dual return nipples.
I burned up THREE power steering pumps trying to bleed the system. I'd put in the pump, fill it, then start the car and turn the wheel slowly to full lock left, then full lock right while slowly pressing the brake pedal.
At first, the steering worked but after awhile, steering effort increased and then damn near failed.
New pump, same result
ANOTHER new pump, same result.
Fuck it...I pulled the piece of shit off and went back to a vacuum booster.
The vendor wasn't much help. He did state that with OEM setups, they probably used some automated force fed bleeding procedure. I tried a few different methods, none worked. Hard brake pedal, zero brake assist.

Dino

Mine was the other way around. The brake pedal improved but not to where it needed to be. Turns out one of the front caliper banjo bolts leaked. I mounted a camera over the steering pump so I could watch the fluid on my phone from inside the car. I hope I have better luck with my brakes!

20230810_163812.jpg

Screenshot_20230810_164257_Beagleprint.jpg 

b5blue

Kern Dog

I really wanted to make it work. I wish that I knew of someone nearby that could walk me through it.
The compact size is appealing. The ability to have boost without the bulky booster is great. Those with rowdy cams can benefit from the HB too.

67tbird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMV_x9WEoqY Yep, only need to bleed hydroboost 40 times before starting your engine!!!!

Dino

Quote from: 67tbird on August 11, 2023, 04:17:14 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMV_x9WEoqY Yep, only need to bleed hydroboost 40 times before starting your engine!!!!

I hope I didn't start it too soon!

Kern Dog

Quote from: 67tbird on August 11, 2023, 04:17:14 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMV_x9WEoqY Yep, only need to bleed hydroboost 40 times before starting your engine!!!!

What the actual F *** ???
No wonder I had trouble with mine. I only did it 39 times.
What a load of crap. That is just too much "baggage" to deal with for an "upgrade" like this.