News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best way to research an old car VIN prior to purchase

Started by cudavic, August 11, 2023, 07:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudavic

Can anyone share the best way or resource to research an old cars VIN for ownership history and other potential issues prior to making a purchase? I realize that Carfax is there for newer vehicles, however I do not believe they can provide much help for an older classic car or maybe I am wrong?

Alaskan_TA

Post the VIN here, some have recorded lots of history.

70 sublime

Guess it will depend where you live but around here in Ontario we can take a VIN to our local MTO and for $20 get a title history on a car back to about 1973 when the MTO switched over to a computer system from paper
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

cudavic

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on August 11, 2023, 07:48:18 AMPost the VIN here, some have recorded lots of history.

Okay, can anyone come up with anything on this one RM23V0A167948?

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

cudavic

Quote from: held1823 on August 17, 2023, 03:16:00 PMnumerous before and after photos are in this February 2019 ad for the car

https://www.daveschultz.com/2019/02/1970-plymouth-superbird-v-code-4-speed-for-sale/

Thanks for your response.
I would imagine that he did the restoration top notch.
However I cannot understand why the owner would try to auction the car off without addressing the missing bump strip on the nosecone?  :shruggy:

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

WINGIN IT

Quote from: cudavic on August 17, 2023, 03:44:47 PM
Quote from: held1823 on August 17, 2023, 03:16:00 PMnumerous before and after photos are in this February 2019 ad for the car

https://www.daveschultz.com/2019/02/1970-plymouth-superbird-v-code-4-speed-for-sale/

Thanks for your response.
I would imagine that he did the restoration top notch.
However I cannot understand why the owner would try to auction the car off without addressing the missing bump strip on the nosecone?  :shruggy:

There's a number of things the current owner did that I'm scratching my head about. That strip is one of them but minor compared to the others.