News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Number 1 cylinder not firing on Edelbrock Pro Flo 4

Started by Dino, August 19, 2023, 10:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

This happened recently after having the engine run multiple times. I am getting spark to the #1 cylinder, bit it's sweak. Weak enough for the timing not to show rpm, or flash the light. It works on the other wires. When swapping the #1 and #2 wires at the distributor, #1 still doesn't fire, but #2 will so it's not the plug or plug wire. No damage to the cap. Any ideas?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

Dino

12.3. Battery is only 12.38 and my little charger doesn't seem to get it up to 13. That's with 2 different bayteries. One regular, and one AGM.

Oh and I found out, the timing light is not registering number 6 either.

2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 work. 1, and 6 are out. I don't get it.

1 and 6 are opposites. Related?

20230819_183411.jpg

b5blue

All I know is low ignition voltage can things go hinky? Get the battery checked and charged fully.  :2thumbs:

70 sublime

Can you take all the wires off the cap and move them around one spot and turn the dstributor enough to run the same ?
Then see if it that spot on the cap that is the problem ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dino

Unfortunately not. The cap has 2 screws and only goes on one way.

Screenshot_20230820_185100_Gallery (1).jpg

Dino

Quote from: b5blue on August 20, 2023, 02:51:43 PMAll I know is low ignition voltage can things go hinky? Get the battery checked and charged fully.  :2thumbs:

I will!

b5blue

Dino

Denso 90 amp but I'm replacing it with a 120. I'm waiting for the 4 AWG to come in to replace the 6 AWG.

70 sublime

Quote from: Dino on August 20, 2023, 05:54:01 PMUnfortunately not. The cap has 2 screws and only goes on one way.

I meant can you turn your distributor 1/8 of a turn in the engine and put all the wires back on again over one spot to see if spark wire #1 and #6 still bad or it could be the distributor cap itself was the problem because it is now the next plug wire over not working
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dino

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 20, 2023, 09:54:35 PM
Quote from: Dino on August 20, 2023, 05:54:01 PMUnfortunately not. The cap has 2 screws and only goes on one way.

I meant can you turn your distributor 1/8 of a turn in the engine and put all the wires back on again over one spot to see if spark wire #1 and #6 still bad or it could be the distributor cap itself was the problem because it is now the next plug wire over not working

Oh I see. Yeah I suppose I can give that a shot. I did order a replacement cap to try. I can send it back if it doesn't change anything, or keep it as a spare. 

b5blue

I've run a 120amp Denso for years. It put out about 60 amps @ idle. I'm wanting to try one of these instead. https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/pages/ChryslerMegaAmp.php

Dino

I hope 120 will do. It will be a direct swap to what I have now. I have done so many changes to the car that I need to stop somewhere or I'll never have it on the road!  :lol:

Once this ignition problem is resolved, it will be near ready for it's maiden voyage!

b5blue

Well add up all the possible amps draw at idle and there ya go. Think like wipers, lights, AC/Heat, stereo, cooling fans and ignition.   :scratchchin:

cdr

Possibly running a ballast resistor to the + on the coil when you are not supposed to ?
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

metallicareload99

I have a 130 amp alt, it does fine with fuel injection, electric fuel pump, electric fans. My belt does slip pretty bad sometimes, I think 120 would get it done.

As for the misfire, I'd definitely move all the wires and see. After that I'd do a compression test  :-\
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Dino

No ballast resistor here. I upgraded the charging system years ago. There was spark on all 8 a few weeks ago. No changes since. I have a new cap and rotor on the way. If that doesn't fix it, Edelbrock will send me an RMA to return the distributor to be tested. Changing wires had no effect.
I have many electrical upgrades, but not many that are running at the same time. I did install a rear view mirror with front and rear cameras, and I have an alarm and remote start. Power locks and windows but they obviously don't run all the time. It's a bit of a set back. I'm close to getting the car done, but I'm not going to rush it. I just hope to get a few drives before snow hits.

Dino

I have not turned the distrbutor yet. I'm not sure if it would change anything but I'm willing to try. A new cap and rotor did not make a difference. Still nothing on 1 and 6.

b5blue

Dino

b5blue

Brand? Reason I ask is I've had terrible luck since replacing my original. (MSD now and hoping for the best.) 

Dino

It came with the Edelbrock kit but I don't know who makes them. A short Ford type MSD cap fits.
I spoke with Edelbrock this morning and they asked me to send it to them for testing, so that's what I did. If the dizzy turns out fine then maybe the ECU is the problem. It's a bit of a set back but these things happen.