News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Took my car for the first drive ever on Sunday

Started by 70 sublime, August 21, 2023, 07:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

So yesterday was the day
I have been doing only what I needed to get together to be able to move the car on its own power
I have only one seat in it
Steering column only no dash
Plugged enough wires in from the steering column to the ends of the engine harness to have power and spark and crank the starter
Has power steering but I do not have the hoses for that so that belt is off
Got the atlernator belt on to run the water pump and fan
I have a gallon jug tied to the rad support on the passenger side for gas
And maybe the best part there is no master cylinder on the car yet

This is the first mopar big block 4 speed I have ever driven also :)

Into the shop is up a bit of a hill so got it to the edge of the door way and turned key off to coast down to the flat and let the clutch out to slow it down

Made it around the yard and over to my house and back
Got to try first and second gear and reverse to get back into the shop
So far so good

Very happy to have a running moving car again
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

70 sublime

This car is a project I bought from an estate
Soooo there have been a few things along the way to figure out
Before the drive I figured I should get the door latches on to keep them from flying open
I had them on onces before the paint so that was not so bad

Then thought I should do the trunk lid too
That did not work so well
There was no way to bolt the latch on the back of the car and the catch onto the trunk lid so they would line up
I have a bunch of spare parts so thought I could just make the holes wider to skoot latch one way and catch the other
Nope could not go far enough
I ended up having to take the welded nuts off the bracket that the latch mounts too inside the trunk
Looks like the last guy that did all the new metal on the car welded the trunk latch frame work into the car centered between the 2 tail light housings
Pretty sure if I remember correctly in needed to be almost touching the one housing and a big space on other side
Oh well the paint is on it now
I might have to make the holes a little wider to get it all good but it is working for now
The catch covers everything anyways so it will still look ok 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green