News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Parts vendors NEED to include decent instructions in with the parts they sell

Started by Kern Dog, August 26, 2023, 02:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

What the hell has happened to these companies? How much money are they saving by not including a good set of instructions in the package?
Here's the problem:
A man goes to install an ice maker in his fridge.
A man goes to install a garage door opener.
A man goes to install a porch light.
A man goes to install a new brake booster.
Every one of those guys gets the parts he needs, then gets home and opens the box to find either:
Meager instructions.
NO instructions other than to go to the manufacturers website to download instructions.
That is it.
This is bullshit. Not everyone has installed those parts numerous times where they are completely familiar with it all and need no help. SOME people are doing it for the first time and need direction.
This has happened twice to me in one week.
First, I bought a vacuum booster, linkage and reinforcement plate for a 66-70 B body Mopar. I have never installed this specific kit before. ZERO instructions were in the box.
During the installation, I encountered a few issues that would have been a LOT easier IF the vendor would have included a few pages of instructions.
Today I was going through the incomplete instructions for a Vintage Air kit for another 66-70 B body. This time there were instructions but they are horrible. They include NO clear measurements on where to drill holes in the firewall to mount the evaporator/fan unit. The aftermarket kit uses a non stock unit with mounting holes in different locations. Do these idiots think their customers are mind readers?
Sure...a decent tech can muddle through and figure it out but why make things difficult for your customers?
I installed a Classic Auto Air kit in my Charger in 2019 and those instructions, while not perfect, were much better than the ones included in the Vintage Air kit.
This is shitty business practice. These pricks need to be told that it will not be tolerated.
I'm not a fan of the brush off that some companies do....go to our website and download the instructions....
Here is a better idea. YOU download them and put them in the box with the parts.
You know, like decent companies used to do.

Kern Dog

The 5 speed Tremec swap kit from Silver Sport Overdrives came with excellent instructions. I wanted it to be known that some companies are better than others at this.

Hey...I don't need help when I'm changing a tie rod or a wheel bearing. I don't need instructions when I buy new tires.
The booster though? Why nothing at all? The A/C....THIS isn't a factory setup where I can dig out a service manual for help. These kits have completely NON stock parts. The Vintage kit uses a thicker evap core that requires you to throw away the stock glovebox and use their replacement that is 3" shallower. This requires moving the fuse panel. There was no mention of this....I guess these dorks just think people will figure it out on their own.
Oddly, when I buy a power tool like what Milwaukee is selling, they include multilingual instructions, safety guidelines, contact information and sometimes even a warrantee card to fill out and mail in.

Mopar Nut

What about the instructions for the Dakota Digital gauges that you installed, I haven't even started on mine yet.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Kern Dog

Those were excellent. I didn't even need to contact them for anything, their instructions were complete and well written.

70 sublime

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 26, 2023, 02:42:20 AMThe 5 speed Tremec swap kit from Silver Sport Overdrives came with excellent instructions. I wanted it to be known that some companies are better than others at this.

Hey...I don't need help when I'm changing a tie rod or a wheel bearing. I don't need instructions when I buy new tires.
The booster though? Why nothing at all? The A/C....THIS isn't a factory setup where I can dig out a service manual for help. These kits have completely NON stock parts. The Vintage kit uses a thicker evap core that requires you to throw away the stock glovebox and use their replacement that is 3" shallower. This requires moving the fuse panel. There was no mention of this....I guess these dorks just think people will figure it out on their own.
Oddly, when I buy a power tool like what Milwaukee is selling, they include multilingual instructions, safety guidelines, contact information and sometimes even a warrantee card to fill out and mail in.

Maybe the air conditiong kit was a universal kit type of thing and next to imposible to send a book with 10 000 pages of all the different cars it would fit from a Model A Ford hotrod to 57 Chev car to your 1970 Dodge Charger ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Kern Dog

When the kit was ordered for a 1970 Charger and their product is labeled "Perfect Fit", the expectation is higher.

hemi-hampton

I have the same problem with Paint Products Data Sheet. You could easily get them for free at any paint store in the past. Not now, go print it up yourself from the website so we can save money on the expensive ink nowadays. I'd get new updated Paint Chip Catalogs every Year at the Paint shop I work at. My Newest one is from 2018 I think. I can no longer get them from Paint Supplier. Or data sheets. Many Body Replacement businesses will no longer have a Catalog listing Parts with Part #'s or prices. :brickwall:  :brickwall:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 26, 2023, 02:19:29 AMA man goes to install an ice maker in his fridge.
A man goes to install a garage door opener.
A man goes to install a porch light.
A man goes to install a new brake booster.
Every one of those guys gets the parts he needs, then gets home and opens the box to find either:
Meager instructions.
NO instructions other than to go to the manufacturers website to download instructions.
That is it.
This is bullshit.
No shit. I agree emphatically! They are saving pennies to merely inconvenience the rest of us. And if there are instructions, they are usually rudimentary, very basic, and are  in at least 6 languages.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Kern Dog

Next up, I'll be installing a Vintage A/C system in a '68 Satellite.
I did a Classic Auto Air setup in my car in 2019. This Vintage kit uses similar principles but different parts. There are some missing details in the instructions but from what I understand, their customer service is good.