News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original Superbird hood extension...

Started by Daytona R/T SE, August 31, 2023, 04:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

Sawed off of a Superbird hood sometime in the last 5+ decades...

What is it worth?  :scratchchin:

Wall hanger?

Repair it and use it on an original car?

Target practice?

Scrap metal?  :shruggy:

Old Moparz

Now there's something you don't see often, if at all.  :2thumbs:

I'd say it's definitely worth saving & selling if you aren't going to use it. Can't help with the value but it looks to be a very clean piece. People cut OEM panels off cars & drill spot welds all the time. Just a guess on the value would be to price both the fiberglass & metal repro extensions & double it. Maybe more if it's perfect.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 01, 2023, 12:49:40 PMNow there's something you don't see often, if at all.  :2thumbs:

I'd say it's definitely worth saving & selling if you aren't going to use it. Can't help with the value but it looks to be a very clean piece. People cut OEM panels off cars & drill spot welds all the time. Just a guess on the value would be to price both the fiberglass & metal repro extensions & double it. Maybe more if it's perfect.

Thanks. :cheers:

It's not perfect, but it's real.  :icon_smile_cool:

The lower panel is a rusty mess, but the upper panel seems OK.

The (very) remote possibility of me ever building a Superbird clone went  out the window last week when I sold my '70 Coronet fenders and hood that I had been hanging onto "Just in case".

I would sell it, if I can determine a price, or trade it for something Daytona/Charger related that I could use. 

:think:  :scratchchin:

Redbird

If the bottom section is a rusty mess, what does the inside of the top section look like if it gets taken apart? Enclosed area with no primer. It could be fine, could be a rusty mess.

I don't know what Ricks Parts sells reproductions for any more. I guess that would be a guide up or down.

If you take it apart the bottom is an excellent template for cutting a Coronet hood.

I also question how many people are doing clones. To me that seems like a money losing proposition from the get-go. I am curious though. The greater fool theory and all. How many people jump in?

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Redbird on September 03, 2023, 10:41:55 AMIf the bottom section is a rusty mess, what does the inside of the top section look like if it gets taken apart? Enclosed area with no primer. It could be fine, could be a rusty mess.

I don't know what Ricks Parts sells reproductions for any more. I guess that would be a guide up or down.

If you take it apart the bottom is an excellent template for cutting a Coronet hood.

I also question how many people are doing clones. To me that seems like a money losing proposition from the get-go. I am curious though. The greater fool theory and all. How many people jump in?

Rick retired and sold out to these guys: https://mopartsllc.com/shop

I'm not sure what the inside looks like.

I figure somebody can repair the hood extension and use it or paint it blue with a big old "43" on it and hang it on the wall. :coolgleamA:

Daytona R/T SE

I've received a few requests for close ups of the bottom side of the hood extension.

It ain't pretty. :eek2:  :o  :smilielol:

Old Moparz

I changed my mind, it's not a clean piece.  :o

But still worth saving & possibly using as a template.  :scratchchin:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 05, 2023, 09:04:52 AMI changed my mind, it's not a clean piece.  :o

But still worth saving & possibly using as a template.  :scratchchin:

Yep, it's kinda toasty :eek2:

And...
It was used as a template many years ago by Gene Gregory when he had the tooling made for his reproduction hood extensions. :icon_smile_cool:

Daytona R/T SE

Will trade for something I can use.

Possibly reproduction Daytona Headlight doors, fender scoops, or steel Daytona wing washers.

Or...

What else have you got ?