News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

painting after vinyl top removal color question

Started by AmadeusCharger500, September 26, 2023, 02:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

71 Charger 500 with black vinyl top. I have completely removed the vinyl top. After extensive repairs It will get base/clear paint. I want to keep the top black and use all the chrome trim.
Can I use any black or should I find the code for black from 1971. Also flat or gloss for the clear? Has anyone done this before.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

armor64

I have only seen a few 2-tone Mopars in person at the Carlisle show, and they were almost all gloss/gloss. I thought they looked good, as a flat color may make it look too much like "faking" the vinyl top, unless it goes further than the trim.

tough call for your preference though, hopefully it looks great with what you pick.

AmadeusCharger500

"Faking the vinyl top", Yes that makes sense. Best to avoid that. I'm masking at the trim line.
I think I will just use black color code X9, and do basic base/clear. Thanks for your comment it really helps.