News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 shortage in 1968

Started by lukedukem, September 27, 2023, 09:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukedukem

I came across a 1968 Road Runner for sale and the description says this:

" This is a Beautiful Ol Mopar, turns heads everywhere you go!! The paint is in excellent condition no rust anywhere. 1968 Road Runner Vin Shows an original 383 car but the owner told me this car came with a 440 because of the shortage of 383s in 1968. Car runs amazing has power steering, power brakes and original A/C. Transmission is the original 4-speed with Hurst Shifter. Tasteful upgrades such as Edelbrock Aluminum intake and Carb. Upgraded sanden A/C compressor and big Aluminum radiator to keep it cool. Can drive it anywhere. Serious inquiries only please and no I don't need help selling it. "

Anyone know if there's any truth to that. Not interested in the car just thought that was odd as I have never heard of such a thing.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

70 sublime

Ask the seller if he bought the car new ??

Sounds like a story that has been told to the next owner from the last owner several times for several owners till they think it is true  :icon_smile_wink:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69hemibeep

hemigeno

Quote from: 69hemibeep on September 27, 2023, 09:12:52 PMWonder if it is even a 440  :lol:

... or if the block's cast date is long after the SPD...

:scratchchin:

armor64

definitely sounds like a car show story to get noticed.

Much like every corvette you see seems to be a 1 of 1 somehow, "its the only red corvette made on a Thursday on the third week of Feb, with a technician who had a limp to the left due to a stone in his shoe, while listening to the radio" or "my 440 swapped 383 car is totally original, numbers matching, its just the number on the block is different because of a block shortage....of a very common, reliable engine...."

I should start saying my Dec 1967 built, 68 is factory Sublime due to product testing on the assembly line for high impact colors, Really get the car show circuit talkin!

RallyeMike

These types of stories never cease to amaze me  :lol:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

moparstuart

i bet its  HEMI 440 too   my cousins brothers , uncle  once removed had one of those also    :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE