News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who has made the switch to a Borgeson steering box?

Started by Kern Dog, September 30, 2023, 03:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I have, last year.
In May 2022, I pulled the Firm Feel stage 3 unit out because it had that dreaded slop between the 11 and 1 o'clock position.

Borg 23.jpgBorg 24.jpgBorg 25.jpg   

Kern Dog

The linkage was tight. There was no slop there. Twas snug, the coupler was fine too. I'd adjusted the sector nut a few times but I was at the end of the line with this unit. It had less than 16,000 miles on it and it was done. Firm Feel used to be the top dog but I'm not so sure anymore. I had Fast Ratio steering arms in place so the stock 15.7 to 1 ratio was closer to 12 to 1. The steering effort was almost free play between 11 to 1 but once I got through the slop, the effort was high. It was very annoying to try to hold a straight line and even worse on curvy roads when crossing through the sloppy center. Screw it...I made an order through Bergman Auto Craft and got the whole kit.

Z 1.jpg

Z 3.jpg

Z 4.jpg

Z 5.jpg

Z 7.jpg   

Kern Dog

The Borgeson is a 14 to 1 unit and weighs 12 lbs less than the stock unit. I went back to stock steering arms which also weighed less....the whole swap cut 14 lbs off the weight of the car.

I retained my Saginaw "Canned Ham" pump and the snazzy Diplomat Police car inline cooler.

Z 20.jpg

Z 89 A.jpg 

Kern Dog

It all fit in right and afterwards, the steering felt very different.
First of all, it steered much easier than before. The turns from lock to lock went from 2 3/4 to around 3 1/2. It has NO slop in the center like all factory steering boxes do. Going down the road, the car just responds like a newer car with no lag, no wander at all. I was so used to the terrible, worn out Firm Feel unit....the loose center and high effort once I got through the sloppy section.
THIS is not cheap but after 16 months, I've seen no downside to the swap.

taxspeaker

Did you have to cut the steering column shaft? I always thought you had to do that so have put this off, but you seem happy with it?
Thanks
Bob

Kern Dog

No cutting. The BAC/Bergman Auto Craft kit came with the hybrid coupler that is essentially an adapter. It retains the factory durability, the "plunge" capability and fits in just fine.

b5blue

I did the same. Steering is very hard when not moving but roll forward or back a bit and it's fine. I got the new pump for this swap also.  :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

I've noticed that the steering effort is highest when the engine is first started. Once it warms up a bit, there is adequate boost even at idle and I can steer fine. This is with the 200 treadwear sticky 275-40-18 Nitto tires.IMG_3297.JPEG