News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No Interior Power No Crank

Started by MikeD, October 07, 2023, 07:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeD

Hi Everyone,

After having the car towed to my son's house, lost all power (including all interior lights) and crank. Here's the list so of what we've tried out to figure out the issue. Will also note, car was running before getting on the tow truck, and two weeks before that a couple of new parts were replaced, car ran and started after that.

Fuel Pump
New MSD Box
New Coil
New Rotor and Cap on Distributor

Checklist of stuff I've checked so far
-Battery is good, gives me 12.8 on multimeter
-Replaced and Checked Starter relay, getting power from battery to power on the starter relay
-If I bridge power to starter line on Starter Relay, it cranks and engages starter
-Checked the Ignition line going to starter relay with key on, and don't get any power on that line.
-Tried powering the coil directly from the positive on the battery.
-Checked fuses under dash and all look good

Any help is greatly appreciated.

b5blue

12.8 is a bit low. Check main grounding cable and contacts.

70 sublime

Does the ammeter in the dash move at all when you turn the key on or the the head lights ?
Does the horn work if you push on the button ?

If inside the car is totally dead I would look first at the factory big red wire that goes throught the fire wall connection
Unplug that section on the fire wall and have a look to see if it is all melted
If it is still good check it to be sure it has power in it with a test light
If that is all good that wire goes straight to the ammeter gauge and if the gauge does not move no matter what you turn on the gauge may have burnt out
All the power that goes into the dash goes through that first

If you get this far you might have to pull the cluster out far enough to see what you are doing ( not sure if you can reach under the dash ) to get a test light on the back of the ammeter gauge
It will have 2 wires bolted to it
One is power in and other is power out
See if you have any power on either post with a test light
Red is power in and black is power out after it gos through the gauge
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

MikeD

Thanks. So answer your first question, no movement on Ampmeter. I have no headlights, horn or interior dome light. Attached image of the bulkhead connection, i'm a little unsure how to remove the connection going into and don't want to break anything.

Whats the process to get that connection removed so I can test?

I started removing the dash and stopped yesterday to take a break when it started giving me problems trying to get out. Getting to amp gauge from underneath unfortunately didn't work out either.

Link to image
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Alj8sPN4voDMjJVKK0-cwTGf1B4U5A?e=eASSeD

John_Kunkel

Yellow arrow points to the most likely culprit, the FUSIBLE LINK...the dumbest thing they ever put in a car.

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/fusible-link-repair-one-car/
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

70 sublime

The main plug on the fire wall has three sections that plug into it from under the hood
If you look at the top section you can see there is a wing that clips over on each end that will need to be lifted up to pull the plug off the fire wall

Looking at your picture the middle plug has a fat blue wire with tape on the end of it
That is not factory
I am guessing that will be your main dash power feed wire
See if you can get the middle plug off the firewall and see if there is power on the blue wire and how clean it is going into the other side of the plug

John mentioned the fuseable link 
See if you can follow the other end of that wire and get power out of it also
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green