News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seized Motor Due To Seized Trans Front Pump?

Started by Wolfe440, October 10, 2023, 09:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfe440

1972 Charger 440 Automatic.

Question...If the 727 transmission front pump is seized and locked up, will motor still rotate by hand?

I have a 440 that is seized solid. I pulled the oil pan and everything that rotates in the bottom end checks out good, and the camshaft rotates no problem, zero shavings in pan.
When it happened the car was driven about 10 miles, no noises, temp and oil pressure all normal the whole trip. Shut the car off, went back 20min later to start and the starter could not rotate engine. Tried to turn crank with breaker bar at balancer, will not budge one tiny iota either way, its locked solid. Very weird. 

I'm running out of things it could be, which is why I'm asking could a seized front transmission pump prevent the torque converter from rotating?

Thx,
Wolf 

John_Kunkel

I'm confused, you say "everything that rotates in the bottom end checks out good, and the camshaft rotates no problem," but then say the crank won't budge?

Yes, a seized pump would only allow a tiny movement in either direction due to the slot in the converter that drives the pump.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Wolfe440

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 11, 2023, 01:17:30 PMI'm confused, you say "everything that rotates in the bottom end checks out good, and the camshaft rotates no problem," but then say the crank won't budge?

Yes, a seized pump would only allow a tiny movement in either direction due to the slot in the converter that drives the pump.

Sorry for confusion. The bottom end assembly will not rotate by hand (either way) with a breaker bar & socket on the balancer nut. Checks out good.... meaning that I can not find signs of any seized bearings or wrist pins that would cause this, and there were no shavings in oil pan indicating a failure somewhere. With the timing chain off and rockers removed I can spin the cam no problem.
Which is what is leading me to think my problem is coming from the transmission. But I was not sure the relationship between the torque converter and the front pump. Your reply is helpful, thx.