News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It's been a YEAR!! (aka Searching For a Wing Car)

Started by Pinballjim, October 20, 2023, 04:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinballjim

Today marks the ONE YEAR anniversary of the purchase of my wing car, a numbers matching, FJ5, U code, benchseat automatic Superbird.  It feels like I've owned it for many years.  I've remained in touch with the previous owner and we've become good friends. He went on to buy an even NICER car!!

As stated in the "Searching For a Wing Car" post, my plan was to drive this car.  I have had it out to several local shows and received multiple awards including a "Best of Show".  I'm not a Trophy collector but I must admit, that one was pretty neat.  I enjoy telling the story of the wing cars to people who have never seen one in person before.  The roller coaster ride that has been my search was just that.  Ups, downs, sideways, it was nuts but in the end, I wound up with a fantastic car and met some great people along the way.

What's next?  Well, for now I'm in "saving mode" squirreling away my extra nickles and dimes.  It's surprising how they add up quickly.  I like the 69 AMC Hurst S/C Rambler and the 70 Hurst Chrysler 300-H.  Both are pretty rare cars.  Will they ever happen?  I don't know and that's part of the fun.  A year ago, I never thought I'd be able to get a Superbird but it's here.  I look at it almost daily.   

Many thanks to everyone who offered advice, encouragement and tips along the way.  If anyone else is out there looking, and I can be of assistance, please feel free to reach out. 

Have a great day!!         

70 sublime

So in the begining how did you meet or find the seller ?
Did the seller find you or did someone tell someone tell you I might know a guy ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

WINGIN IT

Yes, those who are STILL searching would like to know how you closed the deal  ;)

Congrats on 1 year of ownership and many more !  :2thumbs:

Dave Kanofsky

Congrat's, and keep up the good work!   :cheers:  :2thumbs:

I never tire of hearing, "OMG, I've never seen one in person before!!!"
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Sgt Superbird

Congratulations, Jim. As you know, I'm going on a 1 year anniversary too. Keep up the good work showing that beauty off. Talk to you soon.

Pinballjim

I originally wanted a local car with local history.   I was able to find several cars near me but when it came down to serious talks, they got cold feet.  I'm still talking with some of those people. 

I will keep the sellers information private but I put it out there that I was looking for a car and my finances were in order.  I wasn't going to have to ask my wife, mommy or anyone else if I was "allowed" to buy the car.  The seller reached out to me and we continued a dialogue over about a year  On my end, we were good to go.  It took some back and forth but we worked it out.  All along, as other deals fell through, I was told "If it's meant to be, it'll happen". 

I would say to anyone looking, BE PATIENT.   Listen to people.  You have two ears and 1 mouth.  LISTEN twice as much as you speak.   Many of their stories are fascinating.  Not every conversation will yield a car (most will not) but many will offer a tidbit of information
 that is priceless.

Enjoy the hunt!!

WINGIN IT

Thanks for the reply Jim.
 I also was originally looking for a local bird. First a FY1 that was at a local dealer, then a Petty blue car that was sold in a nearby town ( still trying to chase that one down - last I was told it was in Mesa AZ - so if anyone knows of one there please let me know! ) .
Then I found one recently that originated in the same state, original paperwork and all, and I worked for a year to get the car, and it was bought by a 78 yo man who had just bought another one - just can't win.

Missed one last month by a day. At this point looking for just a decent driver that's not 'overpriced'. Asking prices for 4bbl cars are close to $200K if not more. Kick myself over the years for not just borrowing the $ to get the one I wanted. But I keep trying!
And yes I LOVE listening to stories and history on cars, and in the past have always documented as much as I could of that. Let's face it, the cars will live longer than we will !  So let your ownership of the car live on as part of the car's history.

Pinballjim

Quote from: WINGIN IT on October 20, 2023, 02:03:25 PMThanks for the reply Jim.
 I also was originally looking for a local bird. First a FY1 that was at a local dealer, then a Petty blue car that was sold in a nearby town ( still trying to chase that one down - last I was told it was in Mesa AZ - so if anyone knows of one there please let me know! ) .
Then I found one recently that originated in the same state, original paperwork and all, and I worked for a year to get the car, and it was bought by a 78 yo man who had just bought another one - just can't win.

Missed one last month by a day. At this point looking for just a decent driver that's not 'overpriced'. Asking prices for 4bbl cars are close to $200K if not more. Kick myself over the years for not just borrowing the $ to get the one I wanted. But I keep trying!
And yes I LOVE listening to stories and history on cars, and in the past have always documented as much as I could of that. Let's face it, the cars will live longer than we will !  So let your ownership of the car live on as part of the car's history.

Keep looking.  You'll find one (everyone told ME that - I didn't believe them)  Investigate EVERY lead.  Be ready to pounce on a deal.

"Overpriced" is relative.  Buy the best car you can.  A "cheap" one will cost you WAY more in the long run.  Find the best car your money will allow.  You can do this if you're dedicated to it.  During my search, my non-car friends thought I was nuts.  It was all I talked about.  One might even say I was obsessed.  Once it was here and they saw it, they understood.  You're going to experience the same thing.  Very exciting.

WINGIN IT

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection