News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird brake master cylinders and brake line location question

Started by cudavic, October 20, 2023, 11:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudavic

Can somebody explain why some Superbirds have master cylinders that have brake lines on the engine side of the cylinder while others have master cylinders where the brake lines are located on the fender side of the master cylinder? One would think they would all be uniform, however I guess that is not the case as I have seen both. The majority being master cylinders with the brake lines on the engine side of the master. :shruggy:

70 sublime

Hemi engine makes a difference for the space
Does a 6 pack make any difference ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

cudavic

Well I guess I found the answer to my own question.
It appears that the original master cylinder was a Bendix casting# 2226821 which had the brake lines on the engine side.
This master cylinder is no longer available and the replacement master is a casting# 2225621 which has the brake lines on the fender side of the master. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Sincerely Vic

Repsol17

Two different master cylinders were used on the Superbirds.  440-4 bl and 6 packs got p/n 2944477 having the engine side brake line attachments and the Hemi's got p/n 2944476 the fender side brake line attachments. The fender side attachments (Hemi's) was for clearance purposes.

This was the norm, noticed I said the "norm" as anything was possible back then.

Master cylinder p/n #2226821 was use on all 67-70 B-body's with disc brakes.
1970 Bird 440-4 bl Sublime green

cudavic

Quote from: Repsol17 on October 23, 2023, 05:07:34 PMTwo different master cylinders were used on the Superbirds.  440-4 bl and 6 packs got p/n 2944477 having the engine side brake line attachments and the Hemi's got p/n 2944476 the fender side brake line attachments. The fender side attachments (Hemi's) was for clearance purposes.

This was the norm, noticed I said the "norm" as anything was possible back then.

Master cylinder p/n #2226821 was use on all 67-70 B-body's with disc brakes.

Thank you for the answer and clarification, it's appreciated as I do not want to post incorrect information.

Wingnut426

HEMI Daytona Convertible

Repsol17

Quote from: Wingnut426 on October 24, 2023, 08:33:42 AMNo six packs on Plymouths. Six Barrel. Wingnut
You are correct..thanks for catching terminology typo
1970 Bird 440-4 bl Sublime green

70 sublime

Well at least I had the right idea Hemi vs 440 made a difference on the master cylinder plumbing  :icon_smile_wink:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 24, 2023, 04:30:52 PMWell at least I had the right idea Hemi vs 440 made a difference on the master cylinder plumbing  :icon_smile_wink:
Further clarification... Hemi's are big.