News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2 part question: headers and plug wires

Started by Black and Blown, October 31, 2023, 05:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black and Blown

Hello all. Hope your day hasn't been too spooky so far.

I've got a blown 440 in my 70 Charger. It's got hooker ceramic headers.  They've been on the car since 2003 when I bought it.

I've gone through a fair amount of plug wires over the years. (I have an HEI style distributor).

Two questions:
Have there been any better headers designed in the past 20 years?  (Better as in more room for plug wires). And if so, what do you recommend?  (I'm only counting that as one question 😊😊)  My car is for moderate street use - I don't race and I'm just under 500 whp on 87 pump gas, so I'm obviously not concerned about achieving maximum HP.

Second question: what HEI spark plug wires can live the longest life being exposed to all the heat coming off those headers? 

Thanks so much. Although I'm not on this board much (my wife and I are raising grandkids) I really appreciate all the expertise.

Kern Dog

Even 20 years ago, TTI headers were around. Where were you, man??

1 hmmmm.jpeg

There are some that like "Doug's". They are about the same quality for 2/3 the price.
Get ready for sticker shock though....Prices for everything have jumped like a rocket since January 2021.

Mike DC

Are your existing headers ceramic-coated on the inside too, or only the outside?  The inner layer makes a difference. 

Black and Blown

Quote from: Mike DC on November 01, 2023, 06:37:50 AMAre your existing headers ceramic-coated on the inside too, or only the outside?  The inner layer makes a difference. 

I don't know. Good question.

Black and Blown

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 31, 2023, 06:27:27 PMEven 20 years ago, TTI headers were around. Where were you, man??

1 hmmmm.jpeg

There are some that like "Doug's". They are about the same quality for 2/3 the price.
Get read for sticker shock though....Prices for everything have jumped like a rocket since January 2021.

TTI brand (or Doug's) is easier on plug wires then?  Are there any other characteristics you like about them? And thanks for the warning about price. Seems like this is true about everything lately!

Kern Dog

I have never burned a plug wire in my car with any headers. I've burned them before in other cars but I've had two sets of Hooker and one TTI.
Hooker 5903 and 5209 and the TTI 2" set.

Back N Black

I use Firecore Distributor and Firecore wires, best wires I have ever bought. TTI 1 7/8 headers.