News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lucas Motor Oil:

Started by Captain D, November 19, 2023, 04:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Recently, the shop began using the VR1 oil (with additives) in my 69' Charger (383) and noted that I got better oil pressure than with the Penn Grade 1 / Brad Penn.

Granted, I realize that I can stick with the VR1, but has anyone used this below or is it essentially the same without any difference (just name brand):

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/luc-10683-1

Thank you....

armor64

I can't say about quality for sure, but after my break in oil, I ran VR1 for the first season, price doubled so then went Shell T4 this last year, and with both it was the same (no smells/burn differences, no pressure differences) but shell is alot cheaper for me to get, $32 for shell Rotella t4, and $65 for lucas hotrod. I'll keep with what ViceGrip Garage joking calls something like the "Heavy Duty Diesel Dino Juice, with all the vitamins and minerals old engines need"

the recent oil change with T4 looked clean and such, so i wont do my planned T5 or t6 "upgrade" i was thinking when i do the head swap this winter.

496polara

I am running the Lucas Hotrod oil in 10w30 in my Duster. Will be running it in my Newport as well once it needs an oil change. I can get it at my local Napa so no shipping.
1972 Duster 440,1972 Chrysler Newport 400,1982 Chevy C10 454,01 Ford Mustang GT vert,08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP.

panhead

I'm also running the Lucas Hotrod oil (10W40) in my Daytona replica (going on two years now), and in my C-500.
I've had no issues in either car. And I also get it from my local NAPA store. They keep it in stock.

Curt

Merry Christmas to all !!!
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

cdr

Lucas oil in everything for me.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Captain D

Catching up on my old thread, but I meant to say that the shop combined the VR1 + one quart of the Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak (or the Lucas Heavy Duty Stabilizer). They said to run this combo together for now on as the Brad Penn / PennGrade1 simply wasn't responding good enough with regards to oil pressure.

Any concerns about this, just out of curiosity? Hopefully we're right on target....

496polara

Unless your pressure is low without the additive I question the need for it. If it is low you can always switch to the next thicker weight and see if that helps the pressure.

What kind of oil pressure are you seeing at hot idle and steady cruise?
1972 Duster 440,1972 Chrysler Newport 400,1982 Chevy C10 454,01 Ford Mustang GT vert,08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP.

Captain D

True - I'll take some readings on my next test run and report back,  :2thumbs: