News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Comparative B-body weights (and initial cost of each)

Started by lloyd3, December 08, 2023, 05:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Uncle Tony has asserting that Chargers are heavier than all the other b-bodies and I suspect that he's right. Does anybody publish comparative weights for the various 1960 Chrysler muscle offerings? 

I went looking and what I found (on an initial pass) was the costs of a '68 R/T hemi Charger ($4,191 at 4,300 lb) Note: if the hemi added ~$700 to the price, that seems a little cheap), a '68 GTX ($3,784 @ 3,682 lbs, and a '68 Corvette L-88 ($4,718 @ 3,220 lbs). The lightest B-body I've likely ever owned was a '65 440 Coronet 2-dr hardtop, which reportedly is (w/no cost data available @ 3,095lbs).

I'd suspect that my '68 R/T is in the weight range reported for the GTX (@3,682-lbs).  Obviously you'd need to compare apples to apples (non-hemi , standard tranny, Dana 60) to be really accurate but from what I'm seeing the weight difference could be pretty significant between my Charger and what was my '65 Coronet (w/a 440 auto instead of the original 318, which surely adds weight). 

Depending on who you find to be credible, the weight difference ranges from 400 to almost 1,000 lbs  (If I had to guess, I'd say 3,500lbs versus 3,100-lbs would be more like it).  Who would have the most credible data on this? I'm seeing stuff all over the place for both original price range and weight.

It would be interesting to identify the lightest true "B" body model and model year (I'd suspect that would be something like a Savoy from the early '60s) and then, of course, the heaviest Charger (Hemi Superbird anyone?). Actually, it's more likely to be a 1974 Charger "Brougham" of some type (more luxury generally means more weight)

Kern Dog

You cannot rely on published weights. The only way to know is to put the car on a scale.
Some dipshit on FBBO stood by his claim that his '70 Satellite was 3250 because the published specs state it. I told him that is unusually light for even a 318 car but he was stubborn.
My '70 318 Charger was 3660 before I did a 440 swap. It was 3850 after I swapped in a 440/727, dual exhaust and front disc brakes. It is now 3980 with frame connectors, extensive sound deadener, air conditioning, 4 wheel disc brakes, a Tremec 5 speed and 18" wheels and tires. I know all of this because I weigh the car after any major change.

John_Kunkel

The "shipping weight" listed for most cars is supplied by the maker who has to pay shipping fees by the pound. It behooves them to list the shipping weight low to save money and many confuse the shipping weight with the "curb weight" thinking both are the same.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cdr

My 68, 400 lowdeck,512 cid, a518 auto trans, D60 rear, Cold AC, no hood,, HEAVY aluminum Daytona wing ,rack & pinion steering, light Centerline wheels, 3900lbs + me = 4100lbs
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

lloyd3

Gentlemen....thank you.  I knew you folks would have some insight here.  Because I was seeing information with weights all over the place, I suspected that the real weight was likely higher and more elusive.  Is there a "rule of thumb" here? I'm guessing now that my not-original but purely "stock" 440-4spd, Dana 60 '68 car is closer to 3,800/4,000 lbs ("P" code July-dated '68 motor, w/factory duel-point, Carter 4428S carb, windage tray, proper cam and heads), '70 Charger 18-spline 4-gear, & likely a truck Dana 60). Four-speeds are lighter than automatics but the rest of it is purely '68 R/T.  It is a real R/T 4-gear (XS29L8B) but it's still a "Frankenstein" and while it's as good as I could afford to make it...it's not light. My '65 440 Coronet was way-lighter. A healthy 440 w/a 727 auto with an aluminum "Torker" intake, a big double-pumper Holley carb, headers and a fuel pump/cool-can combo (in the trunk) made for a very fast "street car". This one's far easier to "live" with though (that '65 was almost my undoing). Anybody have a guess what that car weighed? I'd guess much lighter, by 600 to 800 lbs?

Kern Dog

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 09, 2023, 02:06:32 PMThe "shipping weight" listed for most cars is supplied by the maker who has to pay shipping fees by the pound. It behooves them to list the shipping weight low to save money and many confuse the shipping weight with the "curb weight" thinking both are the same.

Hmmm...That actually makes sense. Thank you, I hadn't heard it explained like that before.

:2thumbs:

mr. hemi

42 years ago, when I first purchased my '69 Charger R/T, Hemi, 4spd. in completely stock condition, I ran it across the scales where I worked at the time (Sunoco refinery). It came in at 3980# with a half tank of gas.
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

Kern Dog

I always weigh mine with a full tank to get an accurate, repeatable number.
Jigsaw, my ratty '70 Charger, was 3680 with the 383, 727, 8 3/4, heater/defroster, 12" front brakes with 10" rear drums and 15" wheels. I don't have carpet or the back seat in it but do have frame connectors, torque boxes and front and rear sway bars. Add in the full interior and it should tip over 3700 but not by much.

lloyd3

KD: Makes sense. Sticks are lighter than autos by what... 50-100lbs? and 440 blocks are heavier than 383s by another 50-100 lbs(?) and Dana 60s weigh a little more than the 8 3/4s by...lets say 75 lbs.  So, take the 3,680 lbs for your '70, the weight of the standard tranny (less) and the 440 (more) roughly cancel each other out, leaving the Dana along with the full interior in mine.  I'm still guessing that my '68 R/T is 3,800 lbs (give or take).  Mr. Hemi's '69 R/T at 3980 makes sense to me as the hemi adds yet another 200-250 lbs to a car.

I'd love to understand what my '65 Coronet 2-DRHT 440 (w/the added RB motor) might have weighed? What I'm seeing online now has it at ~3,100 lbs (probably a /6).  The '69 New Yorker 440 (and bigger 727 tranny) shoehorned into it clearly added weight, but how much? Another 200-300 lbs over the original drivetrain?  I'd still guess that the weight difference was significant between those two cars (say 3,300lbs to 3,800lbs?) 

Kern Dog

Just like with our bodies, weight just creeps up on you!

2 Chargers GA.jpg

The red car has extensive sound deadening, full interior with bucket seats and console, electric truck latch, 440/495 with A/C but also aluminum heads-intake-WP and housing-Radiator-A/C pump. Tremec 5 speed saves weight over the full 727 setup.
Big torsion bars, sway bars, big brakes, heavier frame connectors, XHD leaf springs, 18" tires and wheels and the extra wiring for the trunk mounted battery. I've been as conservative as I can be with weight savings and still am at almost 4000 lbs.
Jigsaw, the ratty one is sort of a 3/4 scale version of "Ginger". Everything is scaled back a bit from the lighter 383, thinner wall frame connectors and torque boxes, bench seat, no carpet yet, smaller wheels and tires, etc. That car may get a stroked 5.7 3G Hemi and 500 or 518 transmission eventually. With all the same level of sound deadening, carpet and bucket seats-console, it should still come in under 3900 since it won't be an RB engine block.

INTMD8

You can go down the road of estimating weight but means absolutely nothing until you actually scale it.

I have an old sports car that I like and am obsessed with weigh reduction. (on that particular car)

As for my Charger, I thought it would be much lighter but it weighs in at 4,100lbs without me in it.

That's iron mega block, iron hemi heads but thought it would be less with aluminum intake manifold, headers instead of cast iron manifolds and aluminum TKO600 over an iron trans.

I guess offset with more weight from what I mentioned above and late model seats with integrated belts, sound deadening, and chassis reinforcement. (subframe connectors, torque box/etc)
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Kern Dog

The modern 6.4 Hemi and Hellcat cars do show that the weight doesn't have to be a death knell to performance.
If you make enough power, even 4400 lbs can haul ass even if it is a larger one!

cdr

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 25, 2023, 10:27:13 AMThe modern 6.4 Hemi and Hellcat cars do show that the weight doesn't have to be a death knell to performance.
If you make enough power, even 4400 lbs can haul ass even if it is a larger one!
You are correct, heck my BONE stock T/A 392 ran 11.79 @ 114.5 with Drag Radials, 4445 race weight, that works out to 540 FWHP that is factory rated @ 485, I am very impressed with it.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

6pkrtse

Chargers are heavier and options add more weight. My loaded 70'R/T S.E. while up on my racing scales was 4290 lbs with a quarter tank of gas and without me sitting in it.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

cdr

Quote from: 6pkrtse on January 17, 2024, 09:17:11 PMChargwrs are heavier and options add more weight. My loaded 70'R/T S.E. while up on my racing scales was 4290 lbs with a quarter tank of gas and without me sitting in it.

So your Charger is 400lbs more than mine WOW, mine is no stripper , Factory AC box Sanden compressor, HEAVY 46rh OD trans, Dana 60 , lots of sound deadener, a HEAVY alum Daytona wing , but you do have a iron Hemi that is heavy

hemi-hampton

Some of the early to mid 60's cars (like 65 coronet) had aluminum bumpers & fenders if I remember right. That will save you weight. L-88 Corvettes had aluminum heads if I remember right while the ZL-1 had all Aluminum Engine. Leon.

Mike DC

QuoteChargwrs are heavier and options add more weight. My loaded 70'R/T S.E. while up on my racing scales was 4290 lbs with a quarter tank of gas and without me sitting in it.

1/4 tank of gasoline (in a stock 19.5-gallon tank) would be contributing about 30 lbs.   

So that's 4260 lbs empty?  And it doesn't have a cast-iron repro Hemi block or a rollcage or something? 

I pay attention to 2nd-gen weights and that seems anomalous. 

IIRC one of the 1960s car magazines (Car Life?) tested a stock '68 Hemi/torqueflite Charger RT and their curb weight figure was 3920.   

Yeah, yours is an SE, but I can't picture the rocker plates & leather seatcovers adding 300 lbs.

Kern Dog

Gas weighs about 6 lbs per gallon.
I was surprised to see that the 15" spare weighs 59 lbs on its own. My 17" space saver type spare was around 35 lbs and thinner so I went with that.
Almost 4300 lbs though...? Its as if my ex wife were hiding in the trunk, though if she was, the lid might not be able to shut.

6pkrtse

Quote from: Mike DC on January 19, 2024, 03:29:09 PM
QuoteChargwrs are heavier and options add more weight. My loaded 70'R/T S.E. while up on my racing scales was 4290 lbs with a quarter tank of gas and without me sitting in it.

1/4 tank of gasoline (in a stock 19.5-gallon tank) would be contributing about 30 lbs.   

So that's 4260 lbs empty?  And it doesn't have a cast-iron repro Hemi block or a rollcage or something? 

I pay attention to 2nd-gen weights and that seems anomalous. 

IIRC one of the 1960s car magazines (Car Life?) tested a stock '68 Hemi/torqueflite Charger RT and their curb weight figure was 3920.   

Yeah, yours is an SE, but I can't picture the rocker plates & leather seatcovers adding 300 lbs.

It has A/C, 26" Rad, cruise control, power steering, with cooler, power disc brakes, power windows, rear defogger, wheel lip mouldings, rocker mouldings,  door edge mouldings, A47 S.E dress up package. Front bumper guards, hood pins, rear luggage rack (since removed but in rafters), trailer hitch (since removed, also in rafters). Vinyl top, door scoops, N95 California emissions with hood sound deadening pad, so called emissions canister with recirculation tubes to the tank, etc. I guess all of this adds up. My 69 Charger R/T was only 3860.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Mike DC

QuoteIt has A/C, 26" Rad, cruise control, power steering, with cooler, power disc brakes, power windows, rear defogger, wheel lip mouldings, rocker mouldings,  door edge mouldings, A47 S.E dress up package. Front bumper guards, hood pins, rear luggage rack (since removed but in rafters), trailer hitch (since removed, also in rafters). Vinyl top, door scoops, N95 California emissions with hood sound deadening pad, so called emissions canister with recirculation tubes to the tank, etc. I guess all of this adds up.

The factory AC stuff would add perhaps 120 lbs (above the heater-only weight).  The cast-iron compressor alone is about 45 lbs. The whole under-dash HVAC box is about 50 lbs.  (I've weighed a lot of 68/69 Charger parts myself.)  These items are heavy but the factory AC option is pretty common on Chargers.

I dunno how much the power windows or the defogger would add.  That's 5 electric motors.  The 1970 headlight door motor is a 6th one.  The '70 loop bumper is heavy too.

But you didn't add a CD player and 80 lbs of extra Dynamat during the restoration, or something?

QuoteMy 69 Charger R/T was only 3860.

That's more like what I would expect. 

How was that one decked out? 

lloyd3

So, all this begs the question...what was the lightest 2nd generation Charger and what would it weigh? Off the top of my head it would be a stripper 1968 slant 6 with a three speed manual (small rad, no air, small diff, small brakes, single exhaust, no radio, 2-speed wiper, crank windows, no vinyl roof, & w/minimal sound deadening).

So...approximately 3,700 lbs?  Lighter?

Mike DC

QuoteSo, all this begs the question...what was the lightest 2nd generation Charger and what would it weigh? Off the top of my head it would be a stripper 1968 slant 6 with a three speed manual (small rad, no air, small diff, small brakes, single exhaust, no radio, 2-speed wiper, crank windows, no vinyl roof, & w/minimal sound deadening).

I'd guess even lighter.  Maybe 3500-something.

A slant-6 is 200 lbs lighter than a 440.  That's just the engines alone.   

Kern Dog

Quote from: lloyd3 on January 25, 2024, 12:23:31 PMSo, all this begs the question...what was the lightest 2nd generation Charger and what would it weigh? Off the top of my head it would be a stripper 1968 slant 6 with a three speed manual (small rad, no air, small diff, small brakes, single exhaust, no radio, 2-speed wiper, crank windows, no vinyl roof, & w/minimal sound deadening).

My '70, Jigsaw.....

0 Jigs.jpg

Weighed 3580 with no spare or jack and no carpet or rear seat BUT with a 383, 12" front disc brakes, big sway bars front and rear and 15" wheels. Add 120 lbs for the spare and interior stuff and I'd be reight at that 3700.
This car is 3980...

16.JPG

It is complete with spacesaver spare, jack, tire changing tools, trunk mounted battery, (extra wiring to do that, for certain) 440/495, Tremec 5 speed, aftermarket A/C, 13" front discs, 12" rear, 18" wheels, big torsion bars and sway bars, sound deadening and a few other goodies.

Kern Dog

Quote from: lloyd3 on January 25, 2024, 12:23:31 PMSo, all this begs the question...what was the lightest 2nd generation Charger and what would it weigh? Off the top of my head it would be a stripper 1968 slant 6 with a three speed manual (small rad, no air, small diff, small brakes, single exhaust, no radio, 2-speed wiper, crank windows, no vinyl roof, & w/minimal sound deadening).

I would guess in the mid 3500 range. My 318 '70 was 3660 with A/C.
Some think the '70s are heavier due to the front bumper but the fenders are slightly lighter, there is no stamped steel cover between the top of the grille and the core support, The '70 grille is simpler than the '69. The sway bar on the '70 is narrower, Maybe the high back bucket seats weighed more than the low backs in '68 and '69.

JimShine

The lengths are different within the B bodies.

Length of 1969 2 door GTX, Roadrunner, Satellite, Belvedere 202.7 inches
Length of a 2 door Coronet/Super Bee 206.6 inches
Length of a 1969 Dodge Charger 207.9 inches

I suspect lots of little things add up. None of the other cars have the upper pads for the doors or rear. The default Charger also came with standard with a lot of things optional on the other lines. Like the better front suspension and larger rear end.

The real test would be to weigh comparably equipped models across the line.