News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3d Printed Dodge Ram project (RC)

Started by timmycharger, January 10, 2024, 07:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

You can never have too many hobbies in my opinion.  Been playing with hobby grade RC cars since I was about 13yrs old, it taught me basic mechanics and how to take things apart and put them back together at a young age.

I have several fast cars, electric/gas but I been interested in the scale crawler type cars lately after seeing my  brother in law's Traxxas Trx4 Bronco which is super detailed and lots of fun.   

I wanted to re create my old 87 Dodge Ram that I had years ago and sorely miss but nobody makes a scale body in 1/10 size.  Another hobby of mine is 3D printing so after finding a file on line on a late 80's body it was a no brainer to build one. It took about 2 weeks to print all of the body panels, some parts like the hood and quarters took about 2 days to print.  Since my printer is relatively small, I had to print it in pieces vs one big piece and then glue it all together which is why some of the panels are a bit wonky.  I am still working on the bed and grille and will do some "bodywork" to make it look presentable before painting it like my truck.

I even have the 3d files to print the little ram head hood ornament and the badges on the side. I was able to find 3D printed hurricane style wheels like I had too, they just need to be painted.

I also plan on re creating the plow which will be functional!

Mike DC

This is a cool project.  I'm curious to see how it shapes up.  Nice find on the wheels.

timmycharger

Thanks.

Some updated pics of the "bodywork" being done.  I am using Bondo spot filler, does a nice job on these models and is easy to sand. Next I will prime the body and start getting ready for color.

timmycharger

Some updated pics of this silly project I'm working on. Finally found a shade of blue that looks close to my original truck.

Apparently no new cars are painted in this light blue shade so the normal auto stores didnt have anything close so I had to do my best to match it. 1987 was a long time ago lol..

Im now working on the electronics, getting everything sorted. This truck has front and real locking differentials that can be done with the transmitter. It also has shift on the fly capabilities from low to high from the transmitter. Lots of little servos and tons of wire.

Since I have work to do on my full size toy (Charger), this project will take a back seat but I will keep fooling around with it.