News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wing Cars At Auction

Started by Pinballjim, January 14, 2024, 05:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinballjim

The Mecum Kissimmee Auction is in the books.   I tried to watch the wing cars and I saw most of them but I believe I missed a few.   I'd be interested to hear what folks thought about the results.  I wasn't there so I can only base my thoughts on what I've seen here and on the auction itself.   It seems to me that the numbers were a little light.  I saw a V code Bird bring 155k (plus fees).  I saw some of the others bring around 150-175k.  I saw one Daytona bring 350k and another one bring 225k.

There seemed to be quite a few Vettes up for auction and while I didn't see all of their results, those numbers seemed to be in line with the "trend". 

What are your thoughts on the auction?   Is it just me or did the numbers seem light?  If so, why do you think that was the case?  Changing market?  Too many wings in one place?  Condition issues?  Vehicle history issues?   I'm just curious.  Thanks for your thoughts.

RealWing

Sold prices (except for one)
IMG_1755.jpegIMG_1756.jpegIMG_1757.jpeg

1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

oldchevelle541

First, I believe too many Birds up for auction at the same time. As for the prices I think this is still a hobby where a nice car doesn't bring what it should and those that shouldn't bring the money do. After enjoying the comments from various owners throughout the years I would dare suggest most Bird owners are purist's. They want their Birds like the way they left the factory. So why did the car on lot 176.1 bring the money and the V-code that hammered for $155K didn't. I felt that the older couple who owned the V-code car was rushed by Mecum to lift the reserve to keep things going. Imagine how they felt seeing the cars after theirs bring more money. I would not have allowed my reserve to be lifted that quickly especially after all the time, effort and expense to get my car there. So just in these 2 examples I guess what brings the money is a choice of buyer preference. Those cars that brought more money and had documentation were they redone to match broadcast sheets and fender tags including color or were they redone to enhance the car's ability to bring more money. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who attended in person.

Kowal

I was there, like many on this board probably.   I felt that only a few of the Mopars offered were unabashedly a #1 or strong #2 condition.  Most of the wing cars looked tired with various small paint flaws, dirty engine bays, dingy instrument panels, etc (and they weren't marketed as survivors or single repaint cars).  Same with the couple blue Hemi Road Runners/GTX's which didn't clear reserve.  I wanted to buy, had a check in my pocket ready to go, but couldn't get my head around the prices that did win the cars and the work required for each.   I wondered if that was why the cleanest Mopars went for absolutely bonkers money like the green 71 Hemi Charger or the yellow Duster restored by Mancini's.

Overall, I thought prices were down across the board.   There is probably truth that too many of a type drag all prices down.   Geez there were a lot of Vettes, particularly C2's, which probably held the whole group back.   Unique Chevy's like COPO's were pretty strong.
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

Pinballjim

Quote from: Kowal on January 15, 2024, 11:48:05 AMI was there, like many on this board probably.   I felt that only a few of the Mopars offered were unabashedly a #1 or strong #2 condition.  Most of the wing cars looked tired with various small paint flaws, dirty engine bays, dingy instrument panels, etc (and they weren't marketed as survivors or single repaint cars).  Same with the couple blue Hemi Road Runners/GTX's which didn't clear reserve.  I wanted to buy, had a check in my pocket ready to go, but couldn't get my head around the prices that did win the cars and the work required for each.   I wondered if that was why the cleanest Mopars went for absolutely bonkers money like the green 71 Hemi Charger or the yellow Duster restored by Mancini's.

Hmm.  Interesting.  I had to think something like that was going on.  Thanks for the insight.