News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why ? Am I on the wrong forum ?

Started by Repsol17, February 05, 2024, 07:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repsol17

Before I start, I'm not here to offend this forum or its members. I still consider myself new here on the Aero forum with about 5 years, joining when I purchased my Bird.   I joined like many others do when they join a forum.  Looking for more knowledge.

Several weeks ago, I asked what I thought was a very basic and simple question in reference to a part painted a particular color of black.

As I posted the question, I said to myself "will this get answered, I doubt it".  Not to my surprise, it hasn't as of yet.  If you've read the thread, I actually found my answers from a non-member of this forum who has owned his Bird for 52 years.

This led me to another question, why?  Why is there little to no info being shared to what I thought was a basic, simple question on these cars?

I get it that there's not that many of these Aero cars and everyone who owns one is not a member here.  Is it as simple as there's no traffic here,  more members here on Aero Cars than there are actual owners of these cars, so the chance of getting an answer might be slim-to-none, or is it that no one actually knows, which I find hard to believe.

I belong to several other forums, one being www.camaros.org, since I also own a 69 Camaro Z28.  You want to see a wealth of knowledge on first generation Camaros, jump over there and browse, it's incredible.

And last, may I make a suggestion if anyone has the ability to do, and that is to create a sub-category like the first 5 that are high-lighted in blue at the beginning of the forum and call it something like "Auctioned/sold Aero cars"  This way all of those can be collectively held together in one area.

To many times will a question be asked by a member only to have it buried by a slew of aero car that have sold recently.

There's no doubt, if you want to know what Aero cars have crossed the auction line this is definitely the place to come to and it's much appreciated for the time and energy it takes to post all of them each time.  Just seems that some separation is warranted.

Thanks
1970 Bird 440-4 bl Sublime green

Mytur Binsdirti

Up until about 5 years ago, this was a happening website. Now, it's on life support.

DustonK

My apologies if I'm not allowed to share links/other places but here's my take. Hope it helps a little.

Winged Warriors & Aero Cars Facebook group has 4.7k members. It has a LARGE amount of owners and past owners as well as enthusiasts who just love the cars. There's a large handful of people in there that have absolutely massive knowledge on these cars. I've been blown away more times than I can count on what people have stored as far as information on various VINs and history.
Posts go up frequently, they all produce decent traction and questions get answered quickly there.

There is also Superbird & Daytona Tributes, another group on Facebook. This one has 1.8k members. What better place to get paint/part knowledge than the people literally building the cars RIGHT NOW. Tons and tons of people on there have folders full of their progress pictures. We all share our knowledge around on there and help each other out on both real and clone cars.

As for this place, I still very much love it. Tons of old owners who've been around these cars longer than I've been alive. It's sad to see it not as active, but I think that's just forum sites in general. Many are simply not very user friendly and just not attractive/setup well. That's no fault to the hosts, that's just how these templates go how things have been done in this format for ages now.

Old Moparz

I definitely wouldn't take it personal for the reasons regarding the low traffic of active members on here. Many of the members on the facebook groups are members on here as well. One big difference is that there is a SHITLOAD of wrong information on facebook compared to here. Some people will cite something they believe is the answer that is obviously incorrect, yet argue until veins pop out of their foreheads defending it.

I don't have the wing car knowledge that some of the other members do. I've never been concerned about originality so I don't have the knowledge of what would be correct with certain details of a restoration. Others are the same & would remain quiet about a topic rather than give someone incorrect info.

The facebook groups, well, facebook in general, are terrible as far as searching archived info. This site is a great source of info & it is easy to dig up. Some people bitch & moan about the search feature on here but it works quite well compared to most places. It's also free & without ads which is another cool thing.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

hemigeno

It's worth noting that not everyone on the Aero forum owns a 'Bird - and even more specifically, an unrestored 'Bird that could be used as a definitive pattern for other detail-oriented enthusiasts such as yourself.  Once a car is restored, it's not original anymore.  Maybe a car's restorer got the paint sheen and hardware plating details all correct, maybe they didn't.  The pool of reliable-pattern cars is probably pretty small.  I very much respect the fact that you've asked the question(s), but it's perhaps not as easy to get a correct answer as one might think.

Even though I did see your other thread, it seemed better not to toss out an answer from my experience with Daytonas that may or may not be applicable to the Plymouth winged brethren.  Exactly to Bob's point, all that would do is create ambiguity.  It wasn't from a lack of interest that I didn't reply, it was a lack of 'Bird-specific knowledge.

I'm sincerely sorry that your question didn't get answered right away.

held1823

this post, from one week ago?

bbb.png

as others have mentioned, the factual knowledge found here versus the misinformation often tossed out as fact in the facebook group is worth waiting a few days for someone to answer a question.

new replies to a post here re not buried, not to mention there is an unread posts tab at the top of the page?

hhhhhh.png

auction cars have long been shared in detail here so that when things are changed over time, there is a documented and searchable history to protect a potential buyer. things like build sheets and fender tags are known to appear put of thin air, as was detailed in a very recent post about one of those auction cars. those threads are every bit as valuable as the ones asking for specific details.

just my two cents worth, but don't let the perceived lack of interest in helping others dissuade you from the forum. this is without doubt, THE place to go for wing car history and knowledge

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053