News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 head question

Started by fireguyfire, February 08, 2024, 01:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

I'm rebuilding the factory 318 out of my 69 charger. I'm just finishing up the heads, and luckily the heads were in decent shape. I have a full Sioux valve grinding setup and I installed new guides.
I had to touch the seats with stones after I found the valves, but everything barely needed touching which is excellent.
My question is regarding something that crossed my mind. If the seats are slightly deeper in the head after being tried up with the new guides, then the end of the valve will be very slightly higher once the head is reassembled.
With the Sioux grinder it is very easy to take a bit off of the tip of the valve.
I've been looking through the shop manuals I have, and I can't seem to find a spec for an installed length from the top of the valve to the spring base.
In adjustable valve trains this slight difference in installed valve length doesn't matter, but in a 318 with hydraulic lifters and a non adjustable rocker system, you can't adjust for these slight differences.

So, my question is, is there a spec for the measurement I am referring to, or is there enough room in the non adjustable rockers to compensate for any small differences in those installed valve lengths?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent