News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Motor mount replacement

Started by 69wannabe, February 11, 2024, 08:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

Was driving the old car yesterday and didn't get far. It has shut off on me a couple of times lately but after about a minute it starts back up and runs fine.  :shruggy: It did this yesterday and I got to a good spot to pull over and I noticed a knocking/clicking noise once it started back up. Popped the breather and it didn't seem to be flooding or anything but my fan was hitting the shroud. Started it up and hit the throttle under the hood and engine raised up a good bit more than normal.  Driver side mount was toast. Was able to limp it back home and let it cool down. Boy getting these brackets off the engine  kinda suck. I haven't had to do it in a long time.  I had already modified this mount with a 1/2 flathead bolt all the way through it but over time it broke the bolt and the mount. Dug around and found another mount in the spare parts building.  Drilled it out and ran another 1/2" flathead bolt all the way through it and got it back on the car. Wish I had some better drill bits since it took longer than it should have to drill through the mount but that's about normal. A drawer full of useless drill bits lol. Got it bolted back down so hopefully that's that for awhile. Pulled the carburetor and decided to take a glance at it. It has been on the car for 10 years and after I got it tuned in haven't really done anything to it. Even if it isn't my stalling issue I just decided to do a rebuild on it anyway to rule out fuel issues. Got the carburetor apart and cleaned it up and blew it out good. Hopefully the kit will show up quickly so I can see how it goes from there.

b5blue

I used a chain to a bolt on the block and welded to the subframe. It's held up for almost 30 years. The mounts get kinda funky over about 10 years but the chain keeps the 440 down.  :2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

There's a sticky on the first page about the through-bolt for the mount. Also, Mancini offers a safety cable to prevent mayhem if the insulator de-bonds.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69wannabe

I like the cable idea. Looks nice and clean too. I did the bolt through the mount but my bolt wasn't counter sunk enough and even though I got it on there I think the bolt was hitting the K frame stand. Since I waiting on a carburetor kit I found the magnum mount at Mancini racing and just ordered me a pair. Got the carburetor back together today and got the mount changed out again with the new mount. I had been our there a few hours so I was due for a break and I just never did make it back out there today. Hopefully tomorrow I will see how things go with it.

John_Kunkel

As some people have observed, the through-bolt transmits engine vibration to the frame while the cable doesn't. Some don't notice the vibration, some do.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69wannabe

The straight through bolt design works fine for me. I really don't notice the vibration or anything.  I can say this, if you accidentally put the wrong throttle plate to carb body gasket on the carburetor it will not run worth a f---. I guess I overlooked it and the gasket was slightly different only like two tiny holes didn't line up like the old gasket and it took me several on and off the engine with the carburetor before I figured out what I had done. In my defense the correct gasket was still in the box insert under two carb mounting gaskets. When I found it I matched it up with the old one that came off of the carb and I knew what was wrong then. Popped it back apart for like the 4th time and installed the correct gasket and got it back on there and got tuned in. Back to normal  at least. I will run it some then go back and check the adjustments and make sure it's all where it's supposed to be.  Never too old to learn how to mess something up I guess lol

375instroke

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 18, 2024, 04:10:43 PMAs some people have observed, the through-bolt transmits engine vibration to the frame while the cable doesn't. Some don't notice the vibration, some do.  :shruggy:
Didn't notice any vibration, but I did snap the heads off the countersink bolts on one of my cars.  Upped the size on my other one.  Good so far with manual transmission.