News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Benefits of Aftermarket Carb vs Stock?

Started by HeavyFuel, March 17, 2024, 11:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

I've got a stock built '68 440, original carb, intake, heads, exhaust manifolds.

Ive got a CH4B that I swap on and off every few years, just for kicks.  One of the issues though, is that manifold doesn't have a choke well, necessitating a manual choke cable.  I dont really like that too much.

So, I'm contemplating getting the Edelbrock AVS2 carb, which has an electric choke, to pair with the CH4B if it goes back on.

The AVS2 is pretty much a Carter AVS design, which is what's on mine now.

So my question is, what advantages/gaines will I realize by going with the newer carb, besides the electric choke?

I mean...I could give it a try, but why spend 500 bucks if there isn't a realistic improvement.

John_Kunkel

The original AVS is an emissions carb, the aftermarket version isn't and should run better.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

HeavyFuel

b5blue

Be ready to "tune" whatever you swap to!  :scratchchin:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: b5blue on March 18, 2024, 12:11:13 PMBe ready to "tune" whatever you swap to!  :scratchchin:

Figured as much.  I don't have a ton of experience doing that...be reading up and watching some videos

HeavyFuel

Quote from: b5blue on March 18, 2024, 07:49:47 PMhttps://www.mopar1.us/engine2.html

Nice, detailed guidance.  Thank you.

Interesting...the idle mixture needles on my Carter were blocked off from the factory.  This must be part of the emissions deal.