News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What to do…440...opinions and ideas wanted!

Started by matrout76, March 18, 2024, 11:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrout76

I am in the process of trying to decide what to do for the 440 engine in my 1969 Charger RT.  The car has the 833 4-speed with Dana 60 axle and 3.55 gears.  I have a brand new Centerforce Clutch that came with the car that I intend to use, along with a CH4B intake manifold.

The engine that came with the car is a brand new (never ran) rebuilt engine from Marshall Engines and was purchased from Napa about 20 years ago.  I recently removed the plastic, unbolted it from the skid, and put it on an engine stand.  It is a 1978 block, has flat top pistons that are stamped .040, and they sit about 1/8" down in the cylinder as seen by a snake-camera stuck in thru the spark plug hole.  I have not checked the cam lift, but I assume it is stock for a 1978 Dodge pick-up.

The car will be a street driver.  I want it to be reliable and be able to go on road trips in the 3-6 hour range.  I want it to have enough power to burn the tires, but I'm not planning to race it. 
Reliable and good running are the priorities.  I have local sources for 90 octane and 93 octane ethanol-free gasoline and this is what I put in my small engines, carbureted Jeep Scrambler, ATV's and dirtbikes.  When on trips, I'll likely have to buy gas with ethanol, but can always fill up close to home with good fuel.

Here are the options for the engine that I have come up with:
1)   Leave it alone and put it in the car as is. 
2)   Swap in a camshaft and timing chain.  I'm thinking about the Comp Cams XE262H or XE268H grinds.  I do not want the harsh idle lope like the Whiplash cams, but do want something better than stock if i am going to spend the $$.  I'm open to other ideas as well.
3)   Swap in 2355 pistons to increase the CR
4)      Swap in a camshaft AND 2355 Pistons...
5)      Any other budget friendly recommendations?

Other thoughts and requests for opinions:
Headers – are they worth it for an engine in this HP/TQ range?  If I buy headers, I'll get TTI.  Should I just stick with exhaust manifolds?  Exhaust system will likely be TTI as well. 

Intake Manifold – is the CH4B I already have ok or should I get a new RPM Air Gap?

I will be going with a carburetor, just haven't picked one out yet.
Ignition will be basic electronic, but haven't bought anything yet.

Thank you for any and all ideas and opinions!  I appreciate your help to get me thru the next stage of this build!  My car should be going to the body shop soon (talked to the guy this weekend) so I want to be working on the engine so it is ready with the car comes back.

MattIMG_0674.JPG

b5blue

Look here they have a good cam for your 78 block. Sidewinder heads are lower cost but flow/run great. CH4B is a real good match and Johnson lifters made in USA. (Call them.) Pay attention to pushrod length, often overlooked. A 750 size is good. (I use a Proform vacuum secondary jetted up two sizes.)  :scratchchin:   

matrout76

Quote from: b5blue on March 18, 2024, 12:09:54 PMLook here they have a good cam for your 78 block.   

Please share the link.

Thanks for the ideas!

Back N Black

I have the comp cam 274, it makes 500hp and 556 torque. Eddy heads and eddy RPM intake. TTI 1/7/8 headers. Very good street manners.