News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help with my 1970 charger RT project.

Started by bigdsul, March 26, 2024, 07:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdsul

I have a 1970 dodge charger RT that has been slowly making its way to paint. It's gone through 2 body shops and I keep getting the run around from the 2nd shop as far as how much work is needed to be done to actually paint the car. Last bill I was sent I was told it was ready for paint. Now I settled up that bill and am being told there is 6 to 8 weeks worth of work left on the car before painting. Rough estimates put it at 30k for final prep. Which I find extremely upsetting as the car has 2 coats of primer and a guide coat in-between coats of primer. All seams and gaps are laser straight and even now. Body work is done. I'm waiting on some teim pieces to come in stock or become available. Namely the door moldings and mounting accessories for them. And the fender to bumper seals and mounting hardware.

I'm in Bakersfield California and I just want the car finished or I want it gone. I've grown tired of the b.s. at this point. I have over 109k into the car which is well above what a nice 1970 RT can fetch. It's a non numbers car to boot if anyone is wondering 3 speed auto console shift 440 B3 blue with black interior vinyl top and trunk stripe. I've got a lot of upgrades for the car and when it's done everything will be new or restored to new condition.

I'd like someone to be able to get the car painted and I can take it from there. If I can't get it finished up with paint, trim, vinyl top installed etc I'd like it gone.

I can't figure out how to post pictures of it but I can email them or text them preferably.

DownZero

You have over 109k into it and its not even in paint yet? Wow, I feel for you. No sense in selling since you'll be so upside down in it.

b5blue

hemi-hampton

I'm confused, is the same guy that was telling you it was ready to paint the same guy that's now telling you it will be 6-8 weeks & $30k for final prep meaning no paint but ready to paint :shruggy:  Leon.

hemi-hampton

if he sez body work is done & you say body work is done what does he need 6-8 weeks for :shruggy:

b5blue

Perfection sweating.  :scratchchin: I couldn't find anyone who would "just shoot" my 70. The guy I finally found just had to sand the crap out of it before shooting. (My 70 is just an old car to me I made that clear.)

Old Moparz

There is or was a member on here that I am pretty sure was in that area of CA. I cannot remember his username at the moment but he used to post all the time & did body & paint work. He was active for a long time until there were family issues going on with a piece of property that he owned. He also was posting about being offered a job with a well known shop.

Can anyone else remember his name?

Edit:  Just remembered & found his name, "Droptop" in Bakersfield, but he hasn't been on here since 2010. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=368

Maybe you can send him a private message & he will get an email notification. There's always a chance that he is still doing body & paint or can recommend a shop.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

RallyeMike

You are always going to be well in the hole having a car restored for you, so forget about any $ upside.

I think we have all heard this story 100 times. If it was me, I would ask for an uninterrupted sit down meeting with the shop owner. Bring a friend with you who knows at least something about body and paint to help evaluate, or even pay someone from another shop for their time. Show him the bill that said "ready to paint", and ask him exactly what work, day by day, hour by hour, why now another $30k of work is needed to get to there... and then have him go over the car showing you item by item what needs to be done.   

Now get out the original estimate and ask him to explain the overage, again in detail. Tell him you are not satisfied and want the car in color ASAP. Ask him what steps can be cut at this point to get color on the car. Drag it out as long as possible and continue to repeat that you are not happy. You want to leave a lasting impression.

Then, you are at his mercy. 
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

hemi-hampton

Quote from: b5blue on March 26, 2024, 09:18:29 PMPerfection sweating.  :scratchchin: I couldn't find anyone who would "just shoot" my 70. The guy I finally found just had to sand the crap out of it before shooting. (My 70 is just an old car to me I made that clear.)

Been waiting for original poster to reply, he's been in here since I asked my 2 questions but don't want to reply? why is that :shruggy:

b5blue

hemi-hampton

Quote from: b5blue on March 27, 2024, 10:14:03 PM:shruggy: IDK but feel for him!

Pretty sure I know what happened here but he was kinda vague? Anyways, Why pay $125 a hour California Prices when you could of paid me 1/3rd of that or $40 a hour Michigan Price :shruggy:  Leon.

Kern Dog

Mike DC

Common story in the hobby.  It's been common for decades. 

- Try like hell to keep peaceful terms with the shop owner.  Although the sit-down meeting (with another body guy present) is a good one.  Deal in facts and keep your frustration under control.  Frustration/anger won't help you at all in this situation.  You don't want a guy working on your car if he is angry at you or isn't happy with the deal.  You won't like the outcome of that. 

- If you think the body shop owner is crooked then you need to change priorities.  Worry about getting your car out of there (in any condition) and get financially dis-entangled from him.     

You may have been financially abused already, but I've heard horror stories that are much worse.  Like, say, the shop refuses to return the car until you go through small claims court, and the owner leaves the primered body sitting outside in the rain until then, and he's selling pieces of it on Ebay . . . crooks are crooks.  They have no limits. 

I will stress again - If he's seriously a crook, then get the car back out of his hands ASAP.  Give him extra cash that you don't owe him, pretend to be a nice pushover, whatever. 

hemi-hampton

He asked for help, but doesn't come back to get help after his post :shruggy:

b5blue

Kern Dog

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 03, 2024, 08:39:37 PMHe asked for help, but doesn't come back to get help after his post :shruggy:
This happens sometimes and it makes me wonder.
I get to thinking that maybe these people forget where the post or (if they are a drunk) forget that they actually did post something.
Maybe some people get sick, get in an argument and leave their house and computer, have a computer failure, power outage, meet a chick and go on a three week boinkfest ignoring everything in the meantime or just lose interest in the car. Maybe they forget their password and can't get back on.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: bigdsul on March 26, 2024, 07:13:17 PMI'm in Bakersfield California and I just want the car finished or I want it gone. I've grown tired of the b.s. at this point.

I'll give you 12 grand, cash.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 04, 2024, 05:43:10 AM
Quote from: bigdsul on March 26, 2024, 07:13:17 PMI'm in Bakersfield California and I just want the car finished or I want it gone. I've grown tired of the b.s. at this point.

I'll give you 12 grand, cash.

That's a low ball offer, he has over $109k+ into it. after another $30k to prep to paint & how much to paint? $15k maybe? He'll have about $155k into it.  :shruggy:  :slap:  :brickwall:

Kern Dog

For the slow and stupid, the $12,000 offer was a man making a joke.
Most of the forum understood that.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 04, 2024, 10:50:14 PMThat's a low ball offer,

Sadly, the OP not the first person to be screwed over by a body shop and finds himself financially underwater on a car.

He has stated that he wants the car finished or gone, and after spending a fortune so far, it still needs 30 grand to finish. This tells me that the car is still a mess.

Let's look at it this way:

Purchase price of 12 grand. Shipping to east coast 4 grand. 30 grand to finish the body. 40 grand (estimate) to rebuild everything else & purchase misc parts = 86 large. Tell me where I'm wrong.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 05, 2024, 12:50:24 AMFor the slow and stupid, the $12,000 offer was a man making a joke.

From dirty turbins response sounds like he was serious & not a joke.  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:

Kern Dog

To be fair, you may have to know the guy.
He is a cross between a smart ass- smart aleck and a brutally honest realist.
His response was meant to express a sarcastic view on the matter.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 05, 2024, 07:11:26 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on April 05, 2024, 12:50:24 AMFor the slow and stupid, the $12,000 offer was a man making a joke.

From dirty turbins response sounds like he was serious & not a joke.  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 06, 2024, 01:48:09 AMTo be fair, you may have to know the guy.

It could be taken as sarcastically serious or seriously sarcastic. Either way it is to be taken, my assessment is real.

:icon_smile_big:

John_Kunkel

Here's a case where a grinning emoji make intent clear.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 06, 2024, 01:48:09 AMTo be fair, you may have to know the guy.

I can say the same thing about my post, I know dirty turbin to be sarcastic & honest, my lowball comment was kinda meant as sarcastic knowing he was sarcastic but then questioned if he was serious so i was like 50/50 is he being sarcastic or for real, his last comment still leaves you wondering in my opinion :scratchchin:  :shruggy: