News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Have you realized… ?

Started by Nacho-RT74, April 05, 2024, 05:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho-RT74

Have you realized while we were working on our Classic Chargers (60s and 70s) along these late 15-20 years, now more cars are into the classic car world range?

What cars from 80s and even 90s you think will be classified as a "valuable" classics like our Chargers (and others from several brands) already were 20 years ago?

True is also our cars become more desirable and got attention and help after the F&F film storm
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

armor64

its really weird to think about how different the next generation of vehicles became. MY first foray into Classics was my 78 GMC Heavy Half, that i got 15 years ago now. at the time it was 31 years old already. if someone did the same age gap today, it would be a mid 90's truck, and i don't feel as though the 88-98 OBS trucks are "classic" since they are so modern compared to the square-body years. and in that 90's era there are alot less iconic or worthy designs to keep around it seems.

70 sublime

I have been looking around for a cheap summer toy because I am pretty sure my 70 Charger will not be road worthy this year
So I have been looking for something a little different that might be neat and fun that I have never had before
So some of the newer stuff that is now getting older to be classic have been on my radar
Have been following a few of the mid 80's Firebirds and even a Fiero because they were new when I was at university
The listing for them do not last very long when they are in around the $10 000 range for a nice car
I had 85 86 Daytonas the first time around when they were current cars and have not come across many of them posted in good shape
Keeping an eye out for a 56 chev also because that was one that got away on me back in the 80's but it is already old 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Wingnut426

There has always been a "cult" following for station wagons. My 89 and 91 Country Squires are going upwards of $15K and up. I keep getting letters from my collector insurance company to "up" the values. WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,               05 April 2024

In the process of restoring our original 2000 Ford Crown Vic Interceptor. It's undergoing mechanical restoration at the moment. Then it'l have the body stripped and painted. Not a lick of rust anywhere. Once the body is done it'll receive a new 100% leather interior. Once it's done we'll sell our 09 Hemi Ram Laramie 1500. We have a shop Ford PU that is used very seldom so we can use it when we have need of a truck.

Our Interceptor will be eligible for a Classic Plate (or one of the other plates) in 2025. Hard for me to reconcile the time that has flown by since we started driving. We began by "borrowing" cars at 14, 70 years ago. Always returning them with a whole lot less fuel than when we took them.

We still have our 68 RR, 69 SB and 87 Stang Police car with 3.1 mi on the clock; the Stang will be next in the resto shop for cleanup after 37 years of sitting around.

Don't know what's going to happen down the the road. Sure not interested in EVs. Time will tell.

Best Always
426 HCs
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

John_Kunkel

Since they discontinued the LX platform cars this year, I suspect some will be considered "classics" in the near future.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

timmycharger

My son is driving my Dad's original 2000 Chrysler 300m he had since new. It was garaged mostly in FL so the body is really nice. It is up to 235k miles now and still runs and drives well .

Hard to believe that next year it will be 25yrs old.  Still gets lots of looks from people which I am used to in my 68 but was surprised when I was in it last week with my son.

Nacho-RT74

Well, I think a Classic plate wouldn't make it a valuable classic.

Personally I'm driving here in Spain a 98 Diesel Range Rover (MKII or P38 as really known) . As far I know it can be "plated" as an historical car, but... really valuable as a Classic? Maybe not like the older version still made by 98 known as Classic Range Rover while sharing the P38 years production. But the "Classic" Range Rover long lasted almost 30 years with same design and just comfort upgrades. Maybe this one will be considered as a Classic car still on their last years.

I think the Ford Sierra (or Merkur depending on market) could be considered as Classic, since it was a very innovative car by those days.

Now, how many of these I mentioned or whichever car you can mention could be really saved and restored based on parts stock or repro market? Later the year production was, the less quality and surviving rate is.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

John_Kunkel

Like many terms in the automotive world, the definition of what's a "classic" isn't agreed upon.

The dictionary says:

classic

1) Belonging to the highest rank or class.

2) Serving as the established model or standard.

3) Having lasting significance or worth; enduring.

Using that definition, a lot of cars are "classic" right off the showroom floor. I prefer the term "collector car" which has no age criterion.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Old Moparz

From the 80's I liked the Lincoln Mark VII LSC. Not neck snapping performance but they were nice & had the 5.0 V8 in them.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

LaOtto70Charger

Interesting looking car. That thumbnail is Interesting. Click on it and goes full width, and available for download with a separate click. Cool.

Aero426

I now know how the Model A and antique car people must have felt when newer cars became collectible in the 1970's.   There are a LOT of modern-ish cars I have zero interest in that are suddenly worth some money.   

Old Moparz

Quote from: Aero426 on April 10, 2024, 08:19:35 PMI now know how the Model A and antique car people must have felt when newer cars became collectible in the 1970's.   There are a LOT of modern-ish cars I have zero interest in that are suddenly worth some money. 

That's how I felt about the VW Beetles & other models. I don't hate them but I don't want to own one & cannot believe what some of them are priced at, especially the bus with all the small windows.  :o
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Mike DC

IMO the stuff that becomes the most "classic" is the stuff that peaked (or at least excelled) at something. 

1960s/70s muscle cars were the peak cars for teenage testosterone and drag racing. 

1990s Toyotas & Hondas were peak reliable transpo with decent comfort/features. 

1970s-1980s pickups were peak for trucks that worked hard without modern drawbacks.

1980s exotic sports cars were peak for looking like a Miami coke dealer.

Etc.