News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake Pedal going to the floor on 1974 Dodge Charger SE

Started by rob1684, April 08, 2024, 11:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob1684

I have a 1974 Dodge Charger SE, power brakes, front disc and rear drum brakes. The problem I'm having is my pedal will occasionally go almost to the floor and then I let up and press it again and it's feels normal. This usually happens when I am not pushing on the gas pedal and coasting, whether it be letting up early while approaching a stop light or backing out of garage when you are backing out or pulling into garage. I have removed rear wheels and drums and manually adjusted the  brakes to where they just barely touch when reinstalling the drums. This has made no difference. I have 20 inches of vacuum at idle so it doesn't appear to be a vacuum leak.  What am I missing? I have checked with several car buddies that are very knowledgeable and no one has been able to come up with a answer. HELP please.    PS I have owned this car for 47 of its 50 years its not a new acquisition.

thanks Rob Black

LaOtto70Charger

I've got a 70 that did the same thing. Mine the pedal would stay firm for a couple miles. Than it would go back to 3 pumps to get firm again. Originally all drum brakes. I changed the front to ssbc disc's and it still did it. My drum brake booster went out and converted to manual and doesn't seem to be as bad. I have a new dual diaphragm booster to go in but haven't done it yet. I don't think it was the booster though I just don't think it is as noticeable. Plus I had replaced the drum booster in the past with no difference. Had it 31 years to date.

b5blue

Check the pushrod that enters the master to be certain it just touches. (The correct length from booster to master.) A small over shoot can prevent proper reset.

Back N Black

Sounds like air in the system, did you have the lines open recently, changing a caliper or line?

John_Kunkel

Quote from: rob1684 on April 08, 2024, 11:01:36 AMI have a 1974 Dodge Charger SE, power brakes, front disc and rear drum brakes. The problem I'm having is my pedal will occasionally go almost to the floor and then I let up and press it again and it's feels normal.

Internal failure of one system in the master cylinder...should also illuminate the BRAKE warning light. Sometimes they fail and never recover, other times the failure is intermittent. Replace the MC.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

rob1684

Thanks for the replies, all are appreciated. Just took my Charger to the body shop today for some paint touchup and will investigate all your suggestions when I get it back. I was asked if I had done any recent brake work. The most recent was 2013 when I replaced rotors, pads and brake lines and all was fine afterwards.

If anyone else wants to contribute a suggestion for me....post away!

Kern Dog

It is a bad master cylinder, it is as simple as that.