News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Window and other trim, possible to make it look new again?

Started by 2Gunz, May 31, 2006, 03:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Gunz

Pretty much what it says, Im working on the trim to my car. I want to remove the scratches and make it look as good as possible.

Anybody have some tips on how to do it and what to use?

4402tuff4u

If you are talking about the stainless steel trim, yes you can get the scratches of and polish it so it looks better than new!!. I used the kit sold by Eastwood and followed steps described in the book "Charger Project". I did all my trim and got all the dings and scratches off the trim pieces. You will need several grades of sand paper, buffing compound (hard type sold in bars/tubes), face shield, respirator dust mask, tightly fit leather gloves, bench buffing machine and time. If you do a search on this topic here, you'll find more info on the subject.  :yesnod:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

2Gunz

you wouldnt happen to have the link to the kit would ya?

4402tuff4u

Sure here you go. If you want, I will copy and/or scan the buffing section on the book and send it to you, so you dont have to buy the book. Let me know. Post your email or PM me. Later, Mike

http://eastwood.resultspage.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=buffing+compound&submit.x=36&submit.y=12

SeattleCharger

I don't know, need to do that myself.    I just tried some liquid rubbing compound on my chrome bumper on my Bronco the other day while rubbing out some of the black paint around the grill, and it was amazing how it restored the chrome there,

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

4402tuff4u

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on May 31, 2006, 04:06:47 PM

I don't know, need to do that myself.    I just tried some liquid rubbing compound on my chrome bumper on my Bronco the other day while rubbing out some of the black paint around the grill, and it was amazing how it restored the chrome there,

Chrome can only be polished with waxes and compound cleaners. The buffing is for aluminum and stainless steel trim pieces. Two different finishes. I tried to polish the bumpers using the same buffing compound that I used on the trim and it did not do to much to restore the chrome as it did on the trim.  :yesnod: Trim came out awesome, chrome came out ok.