News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacement gauges accuracy

Started by misty440, May 23, 2024, 09:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

misty440

I installed new water temp and oil pressure sensors and now my gauges move but are not accurate, are new factory replacements accurate? I will be pulling the dash out to convert my bypassed amp gauge to a voltmeter after this summer so want to plan a fix for the rest of the dash. Hope to replace the speedo as the needle has stopped bouncing but it reads all over the place, have not tested the tic toc tac as its been always disconnected, recently converted from points to electronic ignition so I imagine that I would need the new tac board to test the gauge? Sorry multiple questions here.
Thanks for all the guidance very helpful and appreciated!
 70' 440 charger r/t finally getting some consistent street time
70 Charger R/T 440C.I 727 3.23's

marshallfry01

I've seen a lot of complaints about the aftermarket "OER" style gauges either reading inaccurate or completely inoperative.

I know it's pricy, but your best bet is to find good used gauges and send your complete cluster to redline and have them go through it completely and service/restore each gauge and re solder the circuit board. It'll be $2,500 or so for all of that.

I'm not a salesman for them but they did mine. I looked at it thinking I don't want to have constant troubles with the cluster and have to take the dash apart multiple times to fix a non working gauge. Plus, when you're driving the car the dash is what you look at the most.... So I want it to be right. I had to use the "buy once, cry once" method.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: misty440 on May 23, 2024, 09:38:19 AMI installed new water temp and oil pressure sensors and now my gauges move but are not accurate,

It's been noted often that some of the current replacement sensors are simply not correct for the installation they're supposed to work on. About the only way to ensure accuracy is to get the gauge and sensor as a matched pair.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

misty440

Thanks guys,
Yeah I cannot justify paying that much to restore the dash. I already converted the voltage regulator, cleaned up the pcb and did the ammeter bypass and installed a new dash overlay. I get what you are saying about one and done but there are other things I need to correct first.

John,
I have never seen a matching set before in my searches. Where do i find them? Checked Google and Year One?
Thanks for all of the help this forum has provided me over the years! My car would not be where she is without everyones help!
Chris
70 Charger R/T 440C.I 727 3.23's

John_Kunkel

By "matching set" I was referring to aftermarket gauges like Autometer, etc. The catalog will specify what sensor is used with a specific gauge.

For factory gauges, only way to tell is if the maker cites a factory part number it replaces and it's still a crap shoot. When paper books were replaced by digital, a lot of info got lost in the transition. For example, the NAPA paper catalog shows TS6178 as a replacement for the factory 2426458 temperature sensor which is correct for a '69 Charger. It further shows that the sensor should have 15-19 ohms resistance at 220 degrees which gives one a reference point to know if any inaccuracy is the fault of the sensor..
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.