News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

petronix?

Started by cobradriver, June 05, 2006, 12:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobradriver

anyone  use it?...pros cons?....easy install?

Kirkvkid

I assume you mean the kit to convert from points to electronic?

I have only used it on one car so far. 71 new yorker w/ 440.  Will convert them all soon.  But really easy install, just two wires, slaps right in.  Basically you remove the condenser and points assembly thingy, and screw this in its place.  You also no longer need your ballast resistor.
-Sal

cobradriver

sounds good to me!......i could never get the dwell and the point gap to be perfect......its always one or the other with me...

Chryco Psycho

it is a simple install but You cannot hook the positive wire to the + coil terminal
I have also encopuntered starting problems with pertronic systems in the past even when connected correctly , I don`t use them anymore

ChargerBill

Personally I plan on buying the MP distributor...I've heard too many car guys complain about the Pertronix conversion set-up over the years.
Life is a highway...

cobradriver

i have heard good and bad...its hard to tell which way to lean.....

Neal_J

If Chryco says it, you have the correct answer. 

Why get a Pertronix that may cause problems when, as my esteemed colleague Bill noted, you can drop in a MP electronic package.  Cost difference of $90.

All hail Neil & Bob....er Bill.

Hahah  :icon_smile_big:

Neal

cobradriver

I dont think ive seen the MP package......but im definately open to what ever is the easiest and most reliable....

is_it_EVER_done?

The Petronix conversion is actually an excellent system. The problem with it is not in the design/construction, but in it's intended use. It was designed to replace the points in ancient distributors, and turn them into more modern and dependable magnetic trigger systems. It does this well, but unfortunately a 40 year old distributor is totally worn out, so the Petronix conversion can be no better than the worn bushings - pivots - springs, etc. that make up the distributor.

Since no one decides to modify their distributor until it's allready giving them trouble, the Petronix kit is already fighting a losing battle as it can't fix mechanical wear problems. If you used the kit on a rebuilt distributor it would be as good as any new magnetic pickup unit, but instead everyone wants to blame the kit instead of the actual problem.

Since it would cost more to rebuild your distributor and add the kit, I suggest you buy the MP conversion setup since it has a NEW distributor (built by Mallory), wiring, ignition module, and instructions. Don't forget to spring for a new high output coil to go along with everything since no ignition system can be any better than it's weakest link.