News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

smog equipment

Started by 73chgrSE, June 07, 2006, 12:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

I live in a state where cars built before '78 are exempt from emissions tests. Is there anything that I can remove or alter on my engine(relativly stock 400 rite now) such as smog equipment, that would increase HP. Besides headers, their on the way, or the A.C. I need that. Has anyone done that before?

mikepmcs

that's it! i'm moving to georgia ;D
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

dodge freak

HA here in Michigan no cars are ever check, not for emissions, safety, nothing not any year or model. Anyways yes theres alot but what do want? The camshaft is a good place to start , don't forget the valve springs too, then its carb and intake manifold and then your dist spark curve and spark box and of course the rearend gears. Have fun and good luck.

mikepmcs

that's it! i'm moving to michigan. :icon_smile_big:

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

73chgrSE

I see the P code 400's are consider to be their hi perf. package. And someone told me the only differences from the regular 400 was larger cam and stronger valve springs. Does anyone know if thats true. Shouldn't that produce more HP than the normal 400. Why did they still rate them all at 260hp? Is that total BS or what? 

But back on topic, I was refering specifcally to smog or emission stuff that restricts the engine, that can be removed.

Nacho-RT74

As far, I know European rules exempt to cars more that 15 years about emission controls there...

Will you move to Europe now Mike ? LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

73chgrSE

Only the 20 or so counties that make up the "Atlanta metro area" are affected by emission laws. But they really need it cause the air here is very bad. I'ld move to Germany for a week or so just to drive on the "autobahn". Maybe dirty up their air alittle. haha

dodge freak

The cars and small trucks are not the problem its the factory's and buses and even the 18 wheelers. If a car is pouring smoke out he will be stop by the police here in Michigan and most every place. Its just to hurt hot rodders thats all, and for these rich people with there $100+ plus cars not to get beaten by a $10,000 car. I am sure these new car company's are all for it to, that way their new cars seem really fast, a 14 second car seems fast unless a 13 second is next to it and there would be many more out there if it wasn't for these smog police. I am all for cleaner air but not when they pick and choose who to police.

mikepmcs

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on June 08, 2006, 10:31:02 AM
As far, I know European rules exempt to cars more that 15 years about emission controls there...

Will you move to Europe now Mike ? LOL

If I could live right next door to you Nacho then Hell ya, but i've seen most of Europe and they don't like us Navy boys invading their turf and I don't blame em.  For the most part, there is alot of ugly americans(military term) so to speak and that's what kills it for all of us normal dudes who like everyone. 
OK sorry to hijack, back to the thread, he wants to know what to remove from his smog infested 400...

v/r
Mike

73chgrSE

73's didn't have catalytc convertrs right?

doctorpimp

No cats for 73. ;)
The equipment that you can lose is:
Factory Air cleaner - K&N or similar replacement
Factory Manifold - Good aluminum dual plane Holley Street Dominator (if you can find one used) Make sure you use the MP block off plates for the crossover passages, get non EGR version.
Factory Carb -
Factory Exhaust Manifolds - Headers (done)
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

dodge freak

I don't know about that factory carb, most are hard to adjust right and are a little small.

doctorpimp

That's why I said "equipment you can lose"
:icon_smile_big:
I don't have a recommendation for him, possibly a Holley 750/650 Vac sec???

73chgrSE

Doesn't that big orange stock air cleaner restrict the air flow somewhat? Is K&N the way to go?, and if so is there a clearence issue with the hood?

doctorpimp

Quote from: 73chgrSE on June 09, 2006, 05:31:02 PM
Doesn't that big orange stock air cleaner restrict the air flow somewhat? Is K&N the way to go?, and if so is there a clearence issue with the hood?
Sorry, I guess my post above wasn't very clear.  All the factory stuff I listed should be removed for performance and replaced with aftermarket (non smog) items  :icon_smile_big:
K&N sells filters with varying heights and some even with droped down bases etc.  Since a 400 is a low deck block, you should have plenty of room anyway.
:icon_smile_cool:

73chgrSE

Thanks DR.pimp. Anything else?

doctorpimp

Camshaft, Pistons, Heads...
There's so much you can do, it depends on $$$  ;)
The '73 400 is still a smog motor, that's why Chrysler went to it from the 383:  They needed more cu/in to satisfy the HP drain from the regulations.
There are a few other people her who may have some better, bang for your buck ideas...
firefighter3931 , chryco psycho and many more.  Those are the guys I ask for for help from  :yesnod:

Paul

73chgrSE

Ideally i'ld like to build it to a 471 stroker. with no smog stuff.

doctorpimp

Cool!
That's what I am going to build as well.
I've got my 400 torn apart, and in the process of getting to block checked out.  ;D
Do a search here on the site for stroker 400 etc there has been quite a few posts about that combo.
Have you seen www.440source.com they have their own stroker parts kits available.