News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car Doesnt Turn ON

Started by bordin34, June 07, 2006, 02:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

I bough tthis car with no key on the column, somebody took it and put a trigger start in instead. When you turn the key, before it starts,you normally can turn on the power for the radio,turn signals, etc...But since my key isnt there the car only cranks there is no electricity being send anywhere including the spark plugs so the car wont run. Can anybody tell me what two wires i need to connect to complete the circuit the key would if I still had it? The car is a 1974 Charger SE 318 Auto.
Thanks
Dan
Edit:
I looked and nothing is plugged into this, what is it?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Nacho-RT74

Ok, first...

Your car has a 74, so is equipped with interlock seatbelt system ( only 74 and 75 Mopars have that ). This system won't allows you to start the engine without fasten the drivers seatbelt and if you have someone else sat on any front seat will need to fasten the seatbelt too because seats and seatbelt female buckles have sensor to that ( except down the drivers seat since is supposed allways there is somebody there sat ).

The stuff located between Ignition module and Voltage regulators with red button is a RESET BUTTON to give you the posibility to start the engine without fasten seatbelt to repairing purpouse or in emergency case of system fail. If you start the engine and then stops, needs to press again the reset button.

Now if everything is allright on interlock system and every plug is clean and tight, then you have 5 heavy wires down the column on ignition harness...those are:

Red---- 12 volts input.

Blue---  source to EVERYTHING on engine.... RUN SWITCH POSITION
Black---- Accesories source.... RUN SWITCH POSITION

Brown---direct source to + terminal of coil, bypassing the ballast resistor to full power on start moment.... START SWITCH POSITION
Yellow--- signal to starter relay....  START SWITCH POSITION

how start it.

keep joined the blue, black ( if you want accesories ) and red... there you are giving power on everything.

join brown and yellow... AND MAKE CONTACT THIS TWO WIRES with the rest untill engine starts. Once started then separate this two wires from the rest.

Originally on switch when you are on start position, switch cut the source to black and blue ( blue still have power throught ballast resistor since brown is spliced onto ballast also, but that's another story ).

That chromed stuff unplugged is the same that the one at a side plugged... is the Voltage regulator, maybe attached for spare... nothing to do with starting system, only with charging system
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bordin34

:yesnod: Thanks a lot Nacho :yesnod: I migh try that tonight.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

farmerjon

Ok  the interlock bypass box that is on the passenger side of the engine compartment, this is the one that controls the seatbelt stuff?  we have never had to sit in the seat to start the car, in fact the switch under the seat isn't hooked up.

The 1st time every day you go to start the brown beast (74 charger se) it cranks over but doesn't start. :brickwall: :flame:  I can start it with a start button and after that it starts with the key great.   :o  it is a new ignition switch about 100 starts  any ideas :scratchchin:

Nacho-RT74

supposelly the interlock system doesn't allow you even CRANK the engine.  :shruggy:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html