News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

does anyone make a 8 3/4 pig gasket?

Started by andy74, June 07, 2006, 06:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy74

finally have my new 8 3/4 housing painted,new axle bearings and seals etc-but when i go to install it,is there a gasket for between the pig and the housing? i cant seem to find one any where?

mikepmcs

Andy
found this, don't know if it helps at all but i'll keep looking, i didn't know what pig was but i think it means the center section?? trying to learn.
http://www.4secondsflat.com/rearendtech2.html

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Shakey

firefighter3931

Andy, you don't need it. I've used just RTV on many of them with great results. Just snug it up and let the sealant "set up" overnight and torque it down in the morning.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RD

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 07, 2006, 09:43:34 PM
Andy, you don't need it. I've used just RTV on many of them with great results. Just snug it up and let the sealant "set up" overnight and torque it down in the morning.  ;)

Ron

bingo!

if you use a gasket, most often I have seen the gasket split due to incorrect torquing of the pig and gear oil seeping because of it, even with RTV added.  It is best just to use RTV and do exactly what Ron said.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

471_Magnum

"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Blue Pentastar

I bought one last month from our local auto parts house either autozone or Oreilly I can't remember.

Mike
Schrader
69 Charger White Hat Special  
04 Chrysler 300M Special
99 Ram 3500 Dually Diesel

Plumcrazy

I still prefer a gasket. But if you're going to use RTV, Mopar makes one intended for gear lube.  It's part # 5013477AA

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

smasherofall

mikepmcs

Quote from: Plumcrazy on June 08, 2006, 07:33:58 AM
I still prefer a gasket. But if you're going to use RTV, Mopar makes one intended for gear lube.  It's part # 5013477AA

I'm writing that one down and on a different subject is their an additive to add( i seem to remember that on my ramcharger years ago) when I change the rear gears in mine.   or can anyone tell me what they use for rear diff fluids??
thanks
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

firefighter3931

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 08, 2006, 05:16:36 PM
Quote from: Plumcrazy on June 08, 2006, 07:33:58 AM

I'm writing that one down and on a different subject is their an additive to add( i seem to remember that on my ramcharger years ago) when I change the rear gears in mine.   or can anyone tell me what they use for rear diff fluids??
thanks
v/r
Mike

Mike, the additive is a friction modifier and is available at the dealership.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mikepmcs

Plumcrazy

I run Mopar 75w90 synthetic gear lube with the friction modifier Ron mentioned.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

mikepmcs

Shakey

I paid about $12.00 CDN for the Sure Grip additive from my local Chrysler dealer but I can't recall what I paid for the gear lube from Car Quest.

andy74

Ron, i guess i should have just asked you when we talked about the new engine,huh!thanks guys

firefighter3931

Quote from: andy74 on June 09, 2006, 02:13:01 PM
Ron, i guess i should have just asked you when we talked about the new engine,huh!thanks guys

Andy, did you get that new engine fired up yet ?

Ron