News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

does anyone know a good price for a 400 ci rebuild

Started by BigCity400, June 07, 2006, 11:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigCity400

I have a 73 charger SE  with a 400 cubic inch engine. I got quoted 1800 dollars 900 for parts and 900 for labor. I want to know if its a good deal.

Alright so i kind of got a better idea of what he'll be doing, new pistons new cam, new gasket, work on the head, I was told "he would be doing everything".

dodge freak

Sounds fair, thats you pulling it and taking there right?

RD

Quote from: BigCity400 on June 07, 2006, 11:20:18 PM
I have a 73 charger SE  with a 400 cubic inch engine. I got quoted 1800 dollars 900 for parts and 900 for labor. I want to know if its a good deal

does the 900 dollars in labor include machine work also? or just assembly?  who quoted you the price?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

ChargerBill

BigCity...please don't make this decision based solely on price because you will definitely get what you pay for. A reputable shop here in California will charge around $2,500 low end to $4,000 for a basic mid range performance engine and upwards of $6,000 + for a high performance engine rebuild...and those are acceptable prices. $900 in parts sounds like a basic kit using your old slugs and rods...but are you at least having new cam bearings installed? Main bearings? IMO at the very least cam bearings are essential and main bearings are pretty much essential. If all you want is a stock rebuild and don't have any machining done then $1,800 might be a decent rebuild, but at least have the block magnafluxed (unless you laready know it is a good block from personal experience) hone the cylinders and make sure the centerline of the block is true..
Life is a highway...

doctorpimp

Hey BigCity400,
Welcome to the site! :icon_smile_big:

I'm up here in Canada so, I won't be able to effectively comment on the price.

What services/parts will the shop be providing?
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216