News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best oil for break in

Started by AmadeusCharger500, June 08, 2006, 12:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I am about to start up a rebuilt 440. It has a engle street cam. Everything is fresh. I would like some advice on what oil to use for break in (type and viscosity) and then what type to use for the first few hundred miles.
I have read that truck oil has some of the best additives to prevent flat tappet cam failure, is this true?

firefighter3931

Shell Rotella-T 15/40 diesel oil with a bottle of GM EOS (engine oil supplement) which is available at any GM dealership.  :yesnod:

Ron

Ps. Heath ; you going to Carlisle ?
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AmadeusCharger500

Hey Ron,

Now did you read that article in HOTrod about cam failure, or is this just part of that library in your head?
Yes, yes I know the answer allready.

Yes I sure am going to Carlisle, all 3 days too. I have a Hotel booked for friday and sat.

So whats up, are you going to swing by? Its just a short what, 11 or 12 hour ride?
(Man that would be great.)

Heath

firefighter3931

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on June 08, 2006, 05:02:58 PM
Hey Ron,

Now did you read that article in HOTrod about cam failure, or is this just part of that library in your head?
Yes, yes I know the answer allready.

Heath

Naw....been using that brew for the last couple of years.  ;) We broke in Dave's (the Arrow) Engle cam last summer using that mix and he's running the Rotella as his everyday lube. So far so good. Change the oil & filter right after break-in and again at 500 miles....then regular intervals after that and you're good to go.  :icon_smile_big:

Ya, i'll be down for the show.....thursday to sunday. We need to hook up. I wanna see your car !   :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

I used the same.......although no EOS :(

I run the Rotella as my regular oil as well
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

I did the same as above. So far so good and the oil pressure is great.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi