News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

spark plug wires, which ones go where?

Started by sext7366, June 10, 2006, 10:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sext7366

Ok I have a set of taylor 8mm plug wires for my 383...this is a matched set, not a universal one, but I can't decide the best way to put the wires.  Two of the wires the longest, and the third longest have 45 degree boots at the plug ends and the rest are 90 degree.  I do have headers, and not spark plug heat shields.  I would assume the longest goes on the drivers side furthest from the distributor and the shortest goes on the pass side closest to the distributor, and the rest go in their respective places based on length from the distributor.  However I was wondering where I should put the two with 45 degree boots.  In the furthest position from the distributor, with the tightest plug to header clearance?  I guess it doesn't really matter as long as they have enough length and aren't touching the headers though, but I am very anal, and want it to be perfect.  Wow rebuilding an engine is a pain. My back neck hands arms and head hurt just looking at my poor charger.  All I gotta do though is put the bumber and supports back on, hook up the exhaust, plug wires, disrtibutor, and then fire her up.  Finally got a weekend off so hopefully itll go smoothly.

Nacho-RT74

on my set up, from shorter to longer the wires distribution is:
2-4-6-1-8-3-5-7

but 400 is a little bit different since brackets supports are on another places, one of them welded on drivesr's valve cover.

I made by myself the wires, and put 45º on 2-4-6-8 and 1. rest are 90º since steering shaft and box is on the way. However you can use straight on 2-4 and 6, 45º on 8 and rest 90º

on the set up you have, all 45º it could be to 3, 5 and 7, becasue the same steering stuff, but I don't have how you can fit a different than 90º boot on spark plug 3
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

sext7366

I started testing them out in different places as far as the 45 degree angle plug wires at least, and I noticed that it really will not matter except for the fact that the number 5 sparkplug wire boot touches the header does this matter with these wires?  The reason I ask is that in their pitch describing them they say "Taylor's Hi-Energy wires have heat-resistant silicone jackets and boots".

dodge freak

They should not touch, might take a few months but the boot will get damage. Get a boot cover, jacket whatever to go over the boot. I had a MSD wire that touch the # 5 cyc header and it burned after 5 months , not much but then I was getting a missfire when the header was hot, turn the motor off and 10-15mins later it would be gone, until it was running for another 5-10 mins. Took me a while to find it MSD tech though it was the pick up coil in the dist, then they though it was the coil and then I started to check each spark plug wire and seen  it, a small area of the boot turn white and had a rip. MSD was great I ask for one wire cause it was under a year old and they send me 2 wires in 3 days.