News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this a 68 block?

Started by joww3, June 11, 2006, 04:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joww3

Hi, this is the engine off my 71 charger 383. Are the numbers mean that the engine was built in 1968? Could a 71 model have an original 68 block? The engine was rebuilt once by the last owner, and are all 383 blocks the same or 68 is different than a 71? Thanks.

John_Kunkel

The block was cast in '68 but the data pad next to the distributor will have the build date and other info.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

8WHEELER

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 11, 2006, 05:13:10 PM
The block was cast in '68 but the data pad next to the distributor will have the build date and other info.

:iagree:  the block was cast in Feb 68, the other long number on that side just mean 59-71 383.
So you will need to read the flat pad behind the alternator as said.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

joww3

The flat pad area said" D 383" on first line, "2 13" on second line, and "R" on the third. Any idea? Just kind a nice to know it was the original engine block or not. Thanks again.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: joww3 on June 11, 2006, 09:47:38 PM
The flat pad area said" D 383" on first line, "2 13" on second line, and "R" on the third. Any idea? Just kind a nice to know it was the original engine block or not. Thanks again.

The "D" indicates 1968 model year so it came out of a 68 model car. There 'should' be a VIN stamped in the top of the block behind the oil pressure sending unit.

the 2 13 means the engine was assemble Feb 13, 1968 (wow...quick turn around on the block...)
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

joww3

Block was cast on 2-9-68, then put together on 2-13-68. So I guess the previous owner used a rebuilt block from a 68 car. thanks for everyone's help.

John_Kunkel

The "R" on the data pad means Regular fuel, the engine started life as a low compression 2-barrel motor.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

joww3

John, does it make a difference? is the block different than other 383 blocks? Does this mean that I have a cast crankshaft instead of a forged one? well I guess I will find out when I remove the oil pan this week. thanks.

8WHEELER

It just means it was a NON HP engine, so the comp, is 9.5 or less, back in those days you could run any
grade of gas with 9.5 or less comp. The 68 model year 2-barrel block will not have any vin or partial
sequential number, the HP engines were the only engines that were stamped with them, NON HP engines
in 68 just had a D383 or D440 on the pad with a 2 17 type number below that meaning month and day
of assembly, unless it says HP below the D383 or D440 like below.

Dan

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 8WHEELER on June 12, 2006, 08:21:26 PM
The 68 model year 2-barrel block and will not have any vin or partial
sequential number, the HP engines were the only engines that were stamped with them, NON HP engines in 68 just had a D383 or D440 on the pad with a 2 17 type number below that meaning month and day of assembly, unless it says HP below the D383 or D440 like below.

Effective January 1 of 68, all blocks and trannys were 'supposed' to be stamped per federal law. Many blocks were stamped before Jan 1 and apparently not all blocks processed after Jan 1 were stamped either. It can be hit and miss as to which blocks did and didn't get stamped before and after Jan 1, 68. Stamping is not related to HP designation. Many people may just not know the VIN was stamped in a different location in '68 and never look for it.

68' STL plant car built before Jan 1, 68 pictured.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

8WHEELER

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on June 12, 2006, 10:19:56 PM
Quote from: 8WHEELER on June 12, 2006, 08:21:26 PM

Effective January 1 of 68, all blocks and trannys were 'supposed' to be stamped per federal law. Many blocks were stamped before Jan 1 and apparently not all blocks processed after Jan 1 were stamped either. It can be hit and miss as to which blocks did and didn't get stamped before and after Jan 1, 68. Stamping is not related to HP designation. Many people may just not know the VIN was stamped in a different location in '68 and never look for it.

68' STL plant car built before Jan 1, 68 pictured.

I think the most accurate thing you said was ''supposed'' to be stamped. I have September and December 67 cast
HP blocks that are stamped on the rear top of the block and trans. I have September and December 67 cast non
HP blocks that have no stamping. Also have February and March 68 cast non HP 383 and 440 blocks with no numbers
on the rear top of the blocks.

Lets face it, this is the 68 model year, what they say they did was NOT a rule thats for sure.

And yes I know where the numbers are, I still have my first 68 Charger I bought in 78.

Early December 67 cast, 440 HP Block.

Dan