News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone using after market guages in the dash cluster?

Started by Smoke20, June 16, 2006, 11:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke20

Hey Gang,

uskatebetter has a similar thread, but I don't neccesarily need them to look stock. I was actually thinking about white face guages, to match the white interior in the car. Anybody have aftermarket gauges in their dash cluster?

What size guages are they? I'd like to order them and do the install all at once, rather than rip into the dash and then order it.

Also, are the fuel and temp gauges electrical or mechanical, as I see listings for both?
Kevin
It's MoPar or No Car!  :drive:

'69 Dodge Charger - Black primer
01 Dodge Intrepid R/T 3.5L Magnum V6 36K
05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Inferno Red, Loaded

GreenMachine

I think making a cluster from scratch is a better idea. I could have my original cluster back in within an hour or two just by splicing a couple of wires and a different speedo cable. I used a flat piece of sheet metal and traced a pattern from the original cluster. It took 2 tries to get everything to fit right, but I am very happy with the results. The tach and speedo are 5" and the others are 2 1/16". I used the original switches but bought new indicator lights at Radio Shack.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Mefirst

terrible one

GreenMachine, that looks awesome man. That's exactly the kind of thing I'd like to do.

Smoke20

In the words of NASCAR's DW.... BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY!

That is smokin' hot. I love the white face guages set off on the black dash. My Intrepid R/T has that same color combo, but it's not as bad-ass as that

Kevin
It's MoPar or No Car!  :drive:

'69 Dodge Charger - Black primer
01 Dodge Intrepid R/T 3.5L Magnum V6 36K
05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Inferno Red, Loaded

mopar1968

Looks Great!  I see you have replaced the radio area too?  How about the area above the Gove Box?  Did you use the same sheet metal for all?

Thanks!!

FYI, my first post to this site.  Very informative site by the way....

professor-patrick

I've been using Autogage 1.5" gauges for the temp/oil/voltage - check out the pics on this page of my website for details on how it looks and how to mount it:

http://www.scotleaidolrods.com/gl13.htm
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Lead Designer - Scotlea Hot Rods
www.scotlea.com

Rack

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 16, 2006, 04:15:46 PM
I think making a cluster from scratch is a better idea. I could have my original cluster back in within an hour or two just by splicing a couple of wires and a different speedo cable. I used a flat piece of sheet metal and traced a pattern from the original cluster. It took 2 tries to get everything to fit right, but I am very happy with the results. The tach and speedo are 5" and the others are 2 1/16". I used the original switches but bought new indicator lights at Radio Shack.

:punkrocka:

I've been toying with the idea of creating my own custon dash as well. So it was really that easy? Just two tries?

The whole theme of my car is gonna be that of a black widow... black and red. So I want to make all the guages red instead of white (plus it'll help cut down on the brightness). How difficult would it be for me to put a thin piece of red plastic sheeting behind the gauges? Or is there an easier/better way to do that?

Again, AWESOME, job!

GreenMachine

Quote from: mopar1968 on June 21, 2006, 12:33:48 PM
Looks Great!  I see you have replaced the radio area too?  How about the area above the Gove Box?  Did you use the same sheet metal for all?

Thanks!!

FYI, my first post to this site.  Very informative site by the way....

When I bought the car, it was missing the radio trim. I used the same sheet metal for that too, the panel above the glove box is the original plastic piece. I painted it with Rustoleum textured spray paint then deglossed it with a scotchbrite pad and then painted it satin black.It looks very close to the original texture of the dash.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Rack on June 23, 2006, 01:19:32 AM
Quote from: GreenMachine on June 16, 2006, 04:15:46 PM

:punkrocka:

I've been toying with the idea of creating my own custon dash as well. So it was really that easy? Just two tries?

The whole theme of my car is gonna be that of a black widow... black and red. So I want to make all the guages red instead of white (plus it'll help cut down on the brightness). How difficult would it be for me to put a thin piece of red plastic sheeting behind the gauges? Or is there an easier/better way to do that?

Again, AWESOME, job!

Here's a pic of my first attempt. I had to move the speedo and tach hole over a little bit due to interference with dash bracing. And I also used the original brake light and turn signal lights on the first one. I found it a lot easier and better looking to use round plastic lights for the indicators.
   As far as making the gauges red, all you have to do is get some red bulb covers. Summit racing sells them in packages for a few bucks.

Rack

Yeah I guess getting a red bulb cover would be a lot smarter/easier.

Thanks, GreenMachine.

chargerhunter

what is the P/N for the fuel gauge you  used? Are you able to still use your factory sender? I'm using all autometer, fuel gauge is the last one on the list.  :icon_smile_big:
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Moparsky67

BUMP

:drool5:

Hey GreenMachine, those AutoMeter Phatom gauges look awesome in your dash !   :2thumbs:

GreenMachine

Quote from: Moparsky67 on April 30, 2008, 11:45:10 PM
BUMP

:drool5:

Hey GreenMachine, those AutoMeter Phatom gauges look awesome in your dash !   :2thumbs:

Thanks