News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

timing set is here, how do I line up the cam and crank?

Started by floyds68, August 16, 2005, 09:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

floyds68

Ive got a shop manuel but I cant find how to sync them both up.  Any Quick Tips? (68 440)
Floyd

"Drive it like you stole it"

Plumcrazy

There will be a small mark on both the crank and cam sprockets near the outer edges.
The crank sprocket's mark goes at the 12 o'clock position. The cam sprocket's mark goes at the 6 o'clock position.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

KMPX2

Make sure they don't move when you but the chain on

GoodysGotaCUDA

Quote from: KMPX2 on August 17, 2005, 11:12:00 PM
Make sure they don't move when you but the chain on

Please degree that cam in!! I boughta timing chain set and if i were to just line up the dots it woulda been a whole tooth off of where it shoulda been. and with a 318, good amount of lift and 2.02 valves...that coulda been bad

Chryco Psycho

I tend to agree , I will not install a cam without degreeing it , I have seen too many that are way off , ever wonder why some engines never make power ?

4402tuff4u

This might sound like a stupid question, but I'm just trying to learn - what does "degreeing" mean?
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Chryco Psycho

making sure the cam is perfectly in sync with the piston position / crank

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

floyds68

Thanks for all the help.  I was told that degreeing the cam was not a big deal unless building a race engine, but after reading these posts I guess I might as well do it since im in a spot to do it easily

thanks guys
Floyd

"Drive it like you stole it"

Ghoste

Degreeing a cam isn't a big deal if you're building them on an assembly line for stock use.  For any other rebuild, it's just free performance.