News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pics of 4 speed 3rd gen trans tunnels needed, please

Started by The Ghoul, June 18, 2006, 04:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghoul

Hey all,
I tacked in my 4 speed tunnel in my 73 charger and it instantly became obvious to me that the cross bar that the transmission mount bracket attaches to is the wrong shape on the auto cars. I am thinking that since the tunnel has about the same contour (with lots of work) to it as the cross bar I can merely remove a 3"(ish) section from under the floor board and weld it into the apex of the trans tunnel arch. I do not care if it is original looking just as long as it works.
Does this plan sound like it can work?
If any one has pictures of the underside of a 4 speed hump particularly of that cross beam please post them up. I would like to see how it looked from the factory so I can get an idea of where the clearances should be. Also If some one could get me measurements for the bolt holes for the trans mount bracket that would be great!! (since I don't have a trans mount bracket or a 4 speed for mockup). 

Thanks all
kevin

This gives you a bit of an idea of what I'm talking about, you can see the automatic cross frame and how it is way too far in from the 4 speed hump.

Todd Wilson

The Ghoul

Quote from: Todd Wilson on June 18, 2006, 06:14:46 PM
Are you using flux core wire?

Todd

yep.
I still have not built my self a cart so every time I use my welder I have to move it from under the work bench to the work area. It would be way more work to juggle a tank in that process as well.  That and its summer here so its hot as hell so I like a fan to be blowing on me wich would blow the gas clowd away. All and all cleaning up the welds with a wire wheel and die grinder between passes gives a good opperunity for the welds to cool.

72Rallye440

Kevin,
I would be more than happy to jack up the Rallye and take you some reference pictures. Mine is original and never messed with so it should be what your looking for. Let me know and I'll take them tomorrow after work.

Dewey