News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rotors rusted inside out

Started by grouseman, June 19, 2006, 03:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grouseman

As you know, most disc brake rotors rust away from the inside out.  Is there anyway to prevent this from happening, short of stainless steel?  I can't imagine paint standing up to the heat.   Looks like I have to get new ones anyway . . .

dodge freak

V H T does make brake paint . I never used it but it might hold up, at least for a while, maybe you have to repaint them every 6 months or so.

The Ghoul

The issue is:
short of zinc coating them any thing you do to em is going to insulate it about as much as rust scale.

So if your worried about the rust scale keeping them from venting heat properly you don't have much choice other than taking them off every season and media blasting the fins.
If you are worried about aesthetics, brake paint and I have been told powder coat but I usually get em glowing on my cars from time to time so I haven't tried it yet... Maybe in my older age I will learn not to beat on my cars and give it a shot.