News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cordoba/mirada tilt wheel in 72 charger?

Started by 1958300, June 21, 2006, 02:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I know this must have been asked a thousand times before, but I need to know if a tilt steering column from a 76-83 charger, mirada or cordoba will fit a 72 or 74 3rd gen Charger. I would like to have a tilt wheel, but the originals are impossible to find. thanks, Phillip
pwlynn@att.net
1972 Charger Rallye coupe auto 440 N96, GY9 (1 of 28)
1990 Dakota convertible

RD

i have no reason to think that they would not.  Just make sure the ignition switch and turn signal switch wires are compatible.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

andy74

if that works let me know, i would love to hav a tilt wheel in my 72,and i know where i can get a column from a wrecked cordoba

chrisII

im pretty sure that the colum from a 75-79 cordoba or other B body shuld fit in a 73 or74. it may fit in a 71 or 72. you would have to check the mesurement from the fire wall to the sterring box. the firewall , and front stub of a 75 to 79, and a 73,74 are all the same.i am almost positive the windshields are even the same. so i would suspect that tilt would work out....great idea! you may have to cut the plug off the wiring and change them, but it shuldnt be too complicated.

doctorpimp

'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

kab69440

I dunno about that particular swap. Anything is possible, with enough hours. I am trying to figure out how to get a Tilt-A-Scope from a C bod into my 69 and hook it to a power rack and pinion from a newer truck. I guess we'll see, huh?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Nacho-RT74

I have seen some 71 with original tilt column from factory on internet.

Columns, yes I think they will interchange HOWEVER, ignition switch plug is different. 70/74 are bullet kind terminals and since 75 they changed to heavier gauge spade terminals ( stronger than earliers common spade brass terminals )

The mettalic dash frame is the same as far I know, difference is on dash pad and that's what makes it look a lot different, but is not.

Just need to be sure about what shaft you will use from end of column to steering box, because since 74 several Mopars have a rubber puck steering coupler with another extra shaft up to steering box coupler and Some models ( like mine ) where assemblied with a thinner rubber coupler, not the heavier one.

Another models were assemblied with the coupler cup BEFORE the rubber coupler up to steering box or something like that...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

doctorpimp

Sounds like it'll fit!
Just use the Flaming River coupler and you won't have to worry about which style of coupler...
:icon_smile_cool:
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

MassCharger73

1973 Charger

Blakcharger440

I wonder if that Cordoba/Mirada column would fit a 70 Charger? It would be great to have tilt.   :scratchchin: