News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whats it worth, 1969/1970 slant six?

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, June 25, 2006, 06:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

how much would a 69/70 slant /6 be worth as i  would like 2 buy one if they are cheap to build ,while i work on buying a car this summer-MATT

genlee1970

That would depend on which body the slant six came wrapped in. ;) I know in the 80's, junkyards had MOUNTAINS of them...all running!!!! The bodies they arrived at the junkyard in were toast though, like my first car, a 71 duster.The engines could be had for next to nothing. These days I don't know, a few hundred bucks maybe... or you could rent some scuba gear and go to the marina...I'm sure there are plenty of seasoned slant six boat moorings still out there!!! But seriously though, I would think 2-3 hundred, running, with all brakets and accessories. Good luck with your search.

THE CHARGER PUNK

yeai would liek to get one as it wouldnt mind having one in a nice dodge(preferably 70 coronet) it would make a nice daily driver and wiould be extremely cheap on gas-MATT

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: B5 BLUE CHARGER PUNK on June 25, 2006, 12:57:57 PM
yeai would liek to get one as it wouldnt mind having one in a nice dodge(preferably 70 coronet) it would make a nice daily driver and wiould be extremely cheap on gas-MATT

I hate to burst your bubble, but more than likely you will have a hard time finding a cheap /6 70 Coronet anymore (even 4-drs.) unless you want a stripped body.  Remember the front sheetmetal is the same as a 70 Superbee (as well as some other parts).  The grilles are a couple of hundred alone if they are not broken.  You might luck out on a 70 Satellite though, but more than likely not (similar problem but with Roadrunners and GTXs)......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

hotrod98

:iagree:

Even the really nice 318 2 door satellites are bring in excess of 7 or 8 grand now. I found a ratted out 70 2 door satellite with no driveline in southern Oklahoma for $1500. It needs a lot of work to make even a driver out of it. There's probably a few more good deals out there, but for the most part they're gone.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Lowprofile

A 68-72 Valiant or Dart would be a better choice. Its your 1st car, keep it simple. :icon_smile_big:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Rolling_Thunder

We have a slant 6 in the shop hooked to a trans - not sure where it came from or anything -   most likely my boss wants to get rid of it...   only thing is - located in southern CA
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

genlee1970

Oh, Matte, so you're looking for a slant six car!!! I thought just the engine. I would think a slant six B body would be a pig because it's so under powered. I'd be afraid to pass someone with it. If it's gas mileage you're after, stick with an A body.

chrisII

if your looking for gas mileage get a 318! a 318 with a small 4bbl or even a stock 360 2bbl and a verry mild cam (possibly a 360 4bbl cam or 318 cop cam) will get better mileage in most any car you put it in beacuase it will not have to strugle so much to get the car up to speed. around here you can still get a running 318 for 100 to 200. they are much less hassle to work on , and dont have the oiling problems of the leaning tower of power. as far as the cars go, the slant six cars have ben used up a lot in rebuilding more desireable muscle cars. as have many small block cars, but either are still out there tho normaly well hidden

THE CHARGER PUNK

no no, im not looking for a slant six car,( finding an original /6 car would almost as hard as finding a hemi car these days) im just looking for a slant 6 engine either a 69 or 70 model engine, im gonna buy a 70 coronet or satellite(2 or 4-door no preferance and make it a granny car that shares the looks of their bigger muscle engined brothers but will be great on gas and be nice to drive a sweet old car all the time), the idea is to preferably find a 70 coronet 2-door with B-pillar post, paint it b5 blue,blue bench interior,3 on the tree, dog dish rims matching b5 blue and have a nice good runin /6 and 727 wit a/c, this plan is gonan start later on this sumemr when i get somel eads on 70 sattelites or coronet in my area B.C.-MATT

chrisII

that was kinda how I was understanding you, I still believe you will have a much better time with the 318 they can get as good or better mileage , are less hassle to work on (the distributor is on the "dark side" of a slant 6) ,and parts avalibility is better..but hey if you want the smallest most under powered mopar engine you can put in there, why not a 2.2? still better mileage and as much power as the slant 6. not to mention that you can still get parts for them and they are less trouble to work on..you would have a tough time finding a rwd auto for one, but a 5 speed would be no big deal.. A 5 speed 2.2 turbo 69 coronet with 2.76 gears would get in the 20mpg range all day. and much better on the hiway.