News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How did you mount your trans cooler?

Started by chargermick, August 16, 2005, 07:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargermick

What type of trans cooler did everyone buy, and how did you mount it? I'm going to buy a trans cooler and I'm looking for ideas before I purchase one. I'm thinking about the style that mounts on the frame rail, then it's out of site, and easier to plumb. Is this a bad idea? Would the style mounted in front of rad be better? If so, how did you plumb the lines?

Plumcrazy

Out in front of the radiator is the best place to mount it, that's where the coolest air is.

I would keep the amount of rubber hose to the minimum when you plumb it.  Fabricate as much as you can out of metal tubing.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

KMPX2

ChargerRob

How about some pictures. I'm also thinking about adding one to my Charger.  thanks.
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

chargermick

Pictures would be great, also how did you route your lines to get them in front of the radiator?

Ghoste

Mine is the "radiator" style and it's in front of the rad.  I agree on the metal plumbing.  I plumbed mine under the rad and it looks cheezy.  The factory units went over the rad.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Heres mine.  Mounted to rad using the straps provided.  I have it running in series with the rad cooler......
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

cudaken

Mine is over kill, 14" X 12", bigger is better right? ;) Reason I went that big is due to the Supercharger. I also used a Aluminum Cross Flow E-bay speical. I mounted it to where there was a 2" gapp on the bottom, ran the lines under the radiator. On the cooler it self, I glued some foam pad's to it so it would not rub the radiator and used zip locks to mount it to the radiator.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Runner

the best tranny coolers are the plate type,  like a b&m super cooler.    others sell the same basic type cooler.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Afflyer

???  I'm just using the stock 22" radiator (which now is a 4-core!) connections on the bottom, instead of what you guys are doing.  Is there any reason to belive your option is better than stock- like mine?

Bradley  :icon_smile_approve:
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Ghoste

Put a trans temp guage on and then watch the guage as you back up.  Especially if it's a small incline with a deeper stall converter and see how quickly the temp shoots up.  Evenjust sitting in traffic watch the guage and you quickly come to appreciate the help an auxilliary cooler will bring.
If you have been using the stock one with no problems you are likely fine.  Everyones driving conditions are different but for most of these old cars the extra cooler is just cheap insurance.  Temperture has a big influence on trans life.

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: Plumcrazy on August 16, 2005, 08:23:40 PM
Out in front of the radiator is the best place to mount it, that's where the coolest air is.

I would keep the amount of rubber hose to the minimum when you plumb it.   Fabricate as much as you can out of metal tubing.
:iagree: