News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which motor guys???

Started by 71ChargerRT, June 26, 2006, 07:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71ChargerRT

I have a "problem". I am putting a '73 Challenger back together as a daily driver for myself and my wife, and I was wondering if I should use the  5.9 Magnum with the MPFI and a 6 speed trans?  ;D  Or the  "new" 5.7 EFI Hemi with the 6 speed trans?   :icon_smile_big:  This is still 6 months or more out and I am trying to get some outside input from people who have dealt with the Hemi. I have had a ram with the 5.9 and loved it, and I have dealt with them prior to this, so I know what they can do. I have heard from some "technicians :sick:" that say the Hemi was spitting cranks and other people that compare them to the old Elephant. Does anyone have any input, Thanks, Bill
Work in progress...

myk

If the hemi's were truly that problematic we'd hear alot more press about it.  If you've got the cash and the know-how go with the hemi, just for the bragging rights...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

TylerCharger69

694spdRT

In stock form the Hemi is the hands down winner. I have had both in trucks and the Hemi makes more power and is more efficient. It will require a more cash to buy and swap in than a 360 though.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

deputycrawford

I say go with the Hemi just for the multiple displacement option. Remember you said daily driver. The Hemi goes as low as four cylinders while at part throttle. You will want that at the gas pump. The extra money you spend in the engine and installation, you will save at the pump. The Hemi might actually pay for itself after awhile. Source a Hemi and Row the gear box.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

skibuff

I have the 5.7 liter Hemi in my '06 Charger Daytona and it runs very strong.  As far as track times are concerned my 5.7 Hemi Charger is laying down 1/4 mile times equal to my 1969 Charger R/T (440 magnum) when it was stock.  IMO, I would definitely go with the 5.7 Hemi in your Challenger.

Skibuff