News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BUILDING THE CHEAPEST HEMI

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, August 17, 2005, 03:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

which would be the best cheapest way about going to build a 426 hemi like which block year was cheapest to start with and such any ideas?-MATT

firefighter3931

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on August 17, 2005, 03:19:02 AM
which would be the best cheapest way about going to build a 426 hemi like which block year was cheapest to start with and such any ideas?-MATT

The words "Hemi" and "Cheap" don't belong in the same sentence. Figure on about twice the cost of building a comparatively strong wedge engine and go from there.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Jon Smith

cheapest way is buy a crate motor or get a good builder to do you a new one, if you get into looking for second hand stuff you'll end up bidding against all the crack smokers on ebay and you still have to spend a fortune to build it up
either way you'd be lucky to end up spending less than $10k

hemihead

Remember Hemi is a 4 letter word can substitute the word CASH
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

MoparYoungGun

69bananabeast

Theres no such thing as a cheap Hemi  :apimp:
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Jon Smith

He didn't ask for a cheap one, he asked the cheapest way to build one

THE CHARGER PUNK

what block year is the cheapest?-MATT

i hear 66 is this  true?

69bananabeast

either way its not going to be "Cheap" Just dropped about 8k for a 440
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

Troy

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 17, 2005, 06:36:09 AM
Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on August 17, 2005, 03:19:02 AM

The words "Hemi" and "Cheap" don't belong in the same sentence. Figure on about twice the cost of building a comparatively strong wedge engine and go from there.

Ron

:iagree: I was about to say exactly the same thing.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Troy

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on August 17, 2005, 05:01:56 PM
what block year is the cheapest?-MATT

i hear 66 is this  true?

The '66 block is the most plentiful but last time I checked you could buy a crate motor block for less. The '66 blocks were known as being weaker and can be prone to cracking. If you can get a new one then you can bypass that problem for the most part. If you buy used parts and/or get some very good deals on new ones you still probably can't build one for under $9k. The heads and valvetrain are the most expensive parts - the block is cheap in comparison. The machine work should be about the same as any other wedge (new could save money here as well). Hemi accessories are much more expensive than wedge parts as well.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

And cheapest could be that way for a reason (and not a good one).

Chryco Psycho

you would not pay a lot more for a Indy Maxx block over an original Hemi block & then you would have a great foundation to build from
you can also use a 440 steel crank to cut costs , most original heads hvae cracks in them now so new heads would be a good plan as wellllll 

THE CHARGER PUNK

or would it be cheaper to build a 440 with the hemi conversion?-MATT

Ghoste

I don't know what those Stage V heads go for.  I believe there was also some custom (but minor) machining required with those.  They sound cheaper on the surface but I don't know anyone who actually did one.

69hemi

I just got done building my Hemi and here is the scoop.  I went into this deal with a prepped block, heads that needed re-done and an intake and carbs.  The carbs were about $700 to have restored, the pistons, rods and crank were $2100.  The heads were about $700 to have them done.  Machine work, balancing, and assembly were $1000 while other parts like oil pump & pan, cam & lifters etc were another $1000. 

All said & done i have about 6-large in the motor but remember I came in with a block and heads.  A new block will run you around $1500-$1800 from Mopar(there still is a pretty long wait on these) then score a pair of heads from somewhere for about $1200-$2000 and add it on.  So you are at about 10K for a complete Hemi.  Then you add on $800 for exhaust manifolds and another $1000 for balancer, pulleys, waterpump and don't forget $300 for a bellhousing then another $700 for a flywheel, clutch etc.  And these are just the things I remember off the top of my head but you are still topping $12K and you haven't added the ignition set, valve covers fuel lines, plug wires so figure another $1200 there and the beat goes on.

All in all you can shop for cheaper parts, cut corners and probally save some of this but if you are going to build the Elephant you need a pachyderm sized wallet!
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

Shakey

69hemi

$500-$800 on e-bay when you can get them and another $150 to have it chromed.
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

Ghoste

69hemi

1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

69bananabeast

i've got one of those. Just need to paint
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

Ghoste

I think that is the ultra rare super deluxe diecast version that comes already painted and ready to run.  I heard one just like went at Barrett-Jackson for over ten thousand dollars.

Headrope

Write "Hemi" on a penny, and Barrett-Jackson will sell it for more than $10,000.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Ghoste

If it's has documentation of course, the sky's the limit.  ;D