News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The PET thread.

Started by Charger_Fan, July 20, 2005, 10:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsskip68

Couple things to check. Pinch (not hard)the back of your dogs skin. Usually above the shoulder blades is good. Release, . Does the skin go back to normal quickly about one second? Also, lift your dogs lip up and press on the gums for a couple seconds.  Does the color (pink) come back quickly ? These are easy tests for dehydration. Kidneys can cause many urinating problems !! There is tests that can be run to check kidney function.

*until you know more, potty pads help to save  your floors.
Keep us posted on his condition. Good luck.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm151209.htm

Charger-Bodie

Thanks for the replays. I will see what I come up with trying a few of these.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

remta1

sounds like maybe possible renal /kidney issue .Best to do bloods and tests .Our dog showed up with same symptoms and in tests showed tannin in the kidneys which was causing issues.Look at the environment that your dog is in also may be eating something that the kidneys are trying/working overtime to flush out.
Turned out he has been eating acorns of the oak tree for years .(tree now chopped down) and this has caused some kidney function loss .

We put him on a science food formula diet specifically designed for renal issues and this has helped our dog improve lots ... very little accidents now but best to get sorted sooner than later.

Hopefully everything works out fine for you  :cheers:

Charger-Bodie

The vet school did blood tests and they indicate that his kidneys are fine. But, they also say it's cushings and they started him on some mess and they don't seem to be doing any good so far.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

moparnation74

Brian,

Sorry, to hear about your little guy!  I have a Terrier as well, so I can relate a bit here.

Polyuria and polydipsia can relate to many medical conditions from diabetes to cushings.  Vets are not my friend and their prognosis is usually poor.  Therefore diagnosis can be inaccurate.  Keep in mind I am not saying this is your case but I am biased because of my profession.  I have battled with my vet once and awhile regarding my late two sick cats(diabetes and hyperthyroid).

Diagnosis of cushings is difficult and requires several tests to figure which type of cushings its related to: Adrenal or Pituitary.  Treatment requires strong medications and frequent monitoring of your pet and multiple routine follow ups.  Especially, after the first treatment.

Maybe the Vet school with their prognosis and with adequate tests reached the correct Diagnosis.  With the false positives that can occur.  I would definitely get a second opinion as another stated earlier.

I relate to your situation completely and feel your frustration.  I hope this information will help you and your family pet out!  Keep us posted please.

Justin

bakerhillpins

Hey Brian,

Our first 2 labs both had Diabetes and they both showed the same constant drinking and urination issue. With the first it took us MANY months to finally figure out what was up. During that time the urine became nasty smelling and a dark yellow. She also lost a lot of weight. With the second, she was the daughter of the first so as soon as she started exhibiting the symptoms we had her tested and started the daily insulin treatments. It came on fast too. She was getting her blood sugar tested each year at her checkup and she was only 4 months after her last normal test result when it started.

I know how tough it is being an owner, but lets not forget that the vets are working from from a tough vantage point too. After all, it's difficult to figure out what's up when you can't have a dialog with the patient. Everything you have to work with starts from a 2nd hand point of view from the owner.

Good luck and keep us informed, We are thinking of you and Max.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Charger-Bodie

Thanks guys. We have a follow up appointment coming up soon and I will be armed with even more questions.

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ODZKing

I was told by our vet (and again this is our cats, not a dog) that blood tests are many time inconclusive when it comes to kidneys. That is what they recommended a sonogram scan of the kidneys.  And expert can tell more there, and they did. They will show signs of previous damage or infections from the past.
Just sayin' you may want to ask.

twodko

Warning.......warning........warning

Fred still lurks amongst us. Guard your duck with you life!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Fred

Quote from: twodko on December 28, 2014, 12:27:36 PM
Warning.......warning........warning

Fred still lurks amongst us. Guard your duck with you life!

No need for anyone to worry..............I love ducks!     :icon_smile_big:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Charger-Bodie

Well folks yesterday was a sad day. The moxer is in doggie heaven now. His condition went down hill pretty fast. His med were making things worse or no helping and we had to say good bye to a great friend . He was the best dog I've ever known.

8WHEELER

Sorry for your loss   :rotz:  it must be that time of year. My friend lost his dog to cancer yesterday,

three weeks ago we found out our Chocolate Lab has stage 3 cancer, she has had 14 Chemo treatments so far, every day.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

b5blue

MoParJW

I'm sorry to hear that, I had to put my dog and friend down a couple of months back, sometimes it is still hard to accept that nothing more could be done for him.
I wish you the best of luck in the time coming.

@wheeler, sad to hear that, I hope your lab stays well!

'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

ODZKing

It is a difficult thing to say good bye to a pet and member of the family.  Been there several times.
Sometimes harder than when you loose a human family member because you know they really don't understand.
Our thought with you and god speed for Moxer!

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 10, 2015, 04:01:49 AM
Well folks yesterday was a sad day. The moxer is in doggie heaven now. His condition went down hill pretty fast. His med were making things worse or no helping and we had to say good bye to a great friend . He was the best dog I've ever known.

Ugh, Brian,  So sorry to hear.  Our thoughts are with your family.

Quote from: 8WHEELER on January 10, 2015, 04:22:16 AM
three weeks ago we found out our Chocolate Lab has stage 3 cancer, she has had 14 Chemo treatments so far, every day.

Dan

Oh geez. Good luck with the treatments. We will be thinking of you too!
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

8WHEELER

Thanks guys
Here is our Chocolate lab and her brother, she wears the thunder shirt to keep her wound clean, it works great.

She is feeling fine so far.

Thought I would post a couple pics as well.

Dan

bakerhillpins

Sweet looking pups you have there. :yesnod:   If they are like our two labs they are very supportive of each other when the other is injured or not feeling well.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Charger-Bodie

Thanks folks. It's been rough for my six year old son Seth. We all really loved that guy. He was and always will be a geat family member......

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 10, 2015, 04:01:49 AM

So sorry for your loss...wea re huge animal lovers...our 3 year old Golden Doodle was diagnosed with bad hips this past summer.....she is still very active & I will not let her be a DOG so she can run and tear around as much as she wants
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

MoParJW

Quote from: 8WHEELER on January 11, 2015, 03:40:18 AM
Thanks guys
Here is our Chocolate lab and her brother, she wears the thunder shirt to keep her wound clean, it works great.

Dan

Nice pics Dan, looks like they get along well
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

8WHEELER

Quote from: MoParJW on January 12, 2015, 03:07:01 PM
Quote from: 8WHEELER on January 11, 2015, 03:40:18 AM
Thanks guys

Dan

Nice pics Dan, looks like they get along well

Thanks, yep they are pals for sure, we always have two dogs, when your gone all day it makes you feel better, plus they roam
the yard and warn the neighbors if somebody gets near that they don't know   :yesnod:

Dan

The70RT

Sorry to hear that Brian. It't hard loosing a good friend.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: The70RT on January 13, 2015, 10:45:09 AM
Sorry to hear that Brian. It't hard loosing a good friend.

Thanks Dennis. And others, it has been hard he was a great dog.