News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Auto trans making horrible noises off throttle. Ideas?

Started by Wakko, July 05, 2006, 10:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

My good buddy bought a '68 GTX 440 off Ebay recently...sight unseesn.   :rotz:  The car was obviously a bit of a race car at one point (fiberglass fenders, manual valve body, ratchet shifter, line lock) and seems to run well.  Today was the first day my buddy got to drive the car and he said that under acceleration it was fine but when he'd be at idle or decelerating the tranny made horrible whining or even knocking noises.  He knows very little about cars and I haven't been able to get down there to go for a ride with him to try to ID myself.

Anyone have ideas what this could be?  I looked in Summit and saw the TCI Street Fighter and some other brand 727s for 800-1000 bucks, does this seem the best way to go if he needs a replace?  I'd hate for him to bring the car somewhere and end up dropping two g's for a tranny when the place hoses him.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

firefighter3931

That doesn't sound good ! If the trans is cooked i'd look to CRT for a quality built unit. The stock rebuilt 727 is $500.00 and it goes up from there depending on what you want. Here's the link :

http://www.coperacingtrans.com/727.htm

Ron

Ps. Great talking with ya the other day IanĀ  :icon_smile_big:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

I have heard horror stories about the TCI rebuilds.......

CRT is a great company
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

John_Kunkel

The noise at idle and decellerating might be a cracked flexplate or the converter bolts, either they're loose or are hitting the back of the block.
If the bolts are tight but are hitting the back of the block or dust cover, check the end play in the crank.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TylerCharger69